Students may sign-up to take "Behind the Wheel" through Broad Run High School after the classroom phase of Driver Education. Students will be placed in a car with the instructor and another student upon completion of their registration and payment. If a "Waiting List" situation arises, a student may be placed in a car based on their permit issue date. The "Behind the Wheel" instructor will contact the parents and student directly to schedule driving sessions.
Behind the Wheel Criteria
1. Students must have a Virginia Learner's Permit
2. Earned a passing grade in the Driver's Education Course given in their 10th grade PE Class
3. Students and a parent or guardian have attended the required "Partners for Safe Teen Driving" presentation
4. Completed and signed the 45-hour driving log
- Behind the Wheel consists of 7 days of driving and observation lessons
- Lessons must have 2 students present
- No lessons on Sundays per state law
- Cost of the 7-day course is $225
- Parents/Guardian will be provided the SchoolCash Online link via e-mail to register or sign into their account, locate items on their student(s) tab, and make payment
How to sign up?
- To register for the course you must fill out the BRHS Behind the Wheel Registration form.
- When it gets near your student's turn, you and your student will be contacted by our instructor Michael Query. Please allow patience with scheduling because two students must be present at all lessons. You may email our instructor at Michael.Query@LCPS.org if you have questions.
Forms completed by student and parent:
- Driver's Permit (a copy will be made)
- DEC-8 Card (Pink Card, can be requested from the Counseling Office)
- Parent permission form
- LCPS Behind the Wheel Registration form
- BRHS Behind the Wheel Registration form
- Signed 45-hour driving log
- Behind the Wheel Fee $225 (will be collected at the time of BTW instructor contact)
- Submit the above forms to the Counseling Office