Virginia Summer Residential Governor's School
The Virginia Summer Residential Governor’s Schools are open to current sophomores and juniors. The Governor's Schools are held each summer on various college and university campuses throughout Virginia and are approximately four weeks long. The Governor’s Schools offer students a unique opportunity to work and study not only with other students with similar talents and interests, but also with mentors, professors, scientists, and other professionals in their field of interest.
The following Summer Residential Governor’s Schools were offered in summer 2023. Information about the summer 2024 Governor's School programs will be available in early Fall.
- Math, Science, and Technology
- Visual and Performing Arts (must audition in LCPS first)
- Instrumental Music
- Visual Art
- Vocal Music
- Marine Sciences
Students may only apply to one Governor's School program. Please note that applications for the 2024 Summer Residential Governor's School will not be available until early October. We will notify students once information is available.
Applications are available online. Students must download the application, type directly in the application, and print to submit it to their school counselor. Applications for 2024 are expected to be available in early October.
Applicants to the Visual & Performing Arts should see the section below regarding preliminary auditions. If notified that they will move on to state auditions, then Visual & Performing Arts applicants will also submit an application.
Applications should be submitted to your School Counselor by December 8, 2023. Please follow all instructions on the applications carefully, keeping in mind the following:
- All applications must be typed.
- On the first page of the application, it asks for the High School Contact Name and e-mail. Please type Jaclyn Smith and email@example.com. For Division Name, please type Loudoun County.
- If the application indicates an essay is required, please follow the instructions carefully for page limits, font size, margins, spacing, and how to number the pages.
- Provide the teacher recommendation forms to teachers with advance notice (at least 3 weeks) to complete the forms. Teachers should submit the form directly to your School Counselor for inclusion with your application.
- Initial & sign where indicated (both parent & student)
- We will obtain the Principal signature for you, but please print that page of the application and provide it when you submit your application to your school counselor.
Visual & Performing Arts Information
Students interested in applying for Visual & Performing Arts must register for the LCPS preliminary auditions. More information about auditions will be sent to students once available.
Students must participate in the LCPS preliminary auditions to be considered for consideration for state auditions. For more information about audition requirements, please visit: https://www.lcps.org/Page/211705.