School Board Abbreviated Attendance Zone Changes
On February 14, 2023, the Loudoun County School Board adopted attendance zone changes for certain communities in eastern and central Loudoun. The attendance zone changes will take effect in fall 2023, with the start of the 2023-2024 school year. Attendance zone changes were adopted for the following areas:
- Elementary school students living in LCPS Planning Zones EL36.1 and EL36.2 (including the Kincora/Kincora Village community), currently within the Sterling Elementary School attendance zone, will attend Steuart W. Weller Elementary School beginning fall 2023. Based on prior Board action, secondary school students living in Planning Zones EL36.1 and EL36.2 will be assigned to Belmont Ridge Middle School and Riverside High School - also beginning in fall 2023.
- Elementary school students living in LCPS Planning Zone CL24 (including the Church & Market, Crescent Place, King Street Station and Monroe Manor communities), currently within the Catoctin Elementary School attendance zone, will attend Frances Hazel Reid Elementary School beginning fall 2023. Based on prior Board action, secondary school students living in Planning Zone CL24 will be assigned to Smart's Mill Middle School and Tuscarora High School - also beginning in fall 2023.
- Further, future students who will reside in Cattail Run will attend Ball's Bluff Elementary School, Smart's Mill Middle School and Tuscarora High School.
School Board Policy 8160, Exceptions to School Assignment Due To Attendance Zone Change, does provide options for rising grade five students who will be assigned to another elementary school in the fall. More information will be sent directly to the identified families from LCPS Planning & GIS Services staff; however, you may also call 571-252-1050 for additional information.
If you are not sure in what LCPS planning zone you reside, use the LCPS Attendance Boundary E-Listing - providing your home address and selecting 'Current School Year' or call 571-252-1050.
- January 2023 Parent Letter - Kincora (EL36.1 & EL36.2 ) Proposed Elementary School Attendance Zone Change English Spanish
- January 2023 Parent Letter - Leesburg Area (CL24) Proposed Elementary School Attendance Zone Change English Spanish
Send an email with any questions about the adopted attendance zone changes.
School Board Attendance Zone Meetings
School Board Policy and Regulation 6530, Changing School Attendance Zones, outlines the abbreviated attendance zone change process which includes circumstances when an abbreviated process can be initiated by the School Board: charter school conversion, new residential development, minimal overcrowding and/or cluster alignment (involving ten percent or less of a school’s current student enrollment) or emergency need.
January 10, 2023 School Board Meeting - Abbreviated Attendance Zone Change Process
January 24, 2023 School Board Meeting - Information Item
February 14, 2023 School Board Meeting - Attendance Zone Public Hearing & Action Item
School Board Policies & Regulations
School Board Policy & Regulation 6530, Changing School Attendance Zones
School Board Policy 8160, Exceptions to School Assignment Due To Attendance Zone Change
School Board Policy & Regulation 8155, School Assignment
School Board Policy 5080, Class Sizes
School Board Policy & Regulation 6210, Student Transportation
School Board Policy 2520, Participation by the Public