School counselors support students' social-emotional wellness by:
- Collaborating with stakeholders to create a school culture that promotes the health and wellness of all students.
- Providing short-term individual counseling and crisis intervention to help students navigate social, emotional, and mental health challenges.
- Educating students, parents, and educators about the warning signs of mental helath issues.
- Providing referrals to school and community resources that may benefit the student's mental health and wellness and establishing collaborative family-school-community partnerships.
- Encouraging student participation in extracurricular activities that provide connection to our school community.
- Promoting healthy decision-making, self advocacy, and positive relationships with peers and trusted adults.
- Helping students discover their strengths and strengthen their strategies for overcoming adversity.
- Collaborating with other Unified Mental Health Team members on education and prevention efforts related to depression, suicide, and substance use.
For more information please visit the LCPS Social-Emotional Learning page.
Resources for Students & Families
Last Modified on October 12, 2023