Credit Through Testing (CTT) Overview
Students may register for the CTT on LARS. A confirmation ticket will be sent to the student and the parent/ guardian email on file.Loudoun County Public Schools allows students, with the ability to comprehend and communicate in languages other than English, to earn high school credits through State approved world language assessments. The Credit Through Testing (CTT) exam measures students’ language proficiency in order to award two high school world language credits.The Credit Through Testing (CTT) exam is designed to assess students’ first language proficiency and is available for students in grades 9 through 12 only, whose first language is not English. The exam requires a student to read and comprehend exam instructions and writing prompts in the first language. The student must be able to write two, well-developed essays in the exam language, each consisting of at least three cohesive paragraphs on two topics.The Credit Through Testing exam is offered each November. Students may take the exam two times per language while in high school. For SY 2021-2022 the following 20 languages will be available for assessing using the State approved rubric. These represent where 50 or more students in grades 9-12 speak the language as a first language at home: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese/Mandarin, Farsi, French, German, Gujarati, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog/Filipino, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu, and Vietnamese.
Registration for the exam will vary by school. Students may sign up or request information on where to sign up for the Credit Through Testing Exam at the Counseling Office or the Department of World Languages and Cultures at the school.
(2021 CTT exam testing dates - November 8th -11th)Students who pass the exam will also meet the language proficiency requirement to earn the Seal of Biliteracy at graduation. We will continue to use nationally-normed tests such as STAMP, AAPPL, OPI, OPIc, and the WPT for meeting the requirement for the State Seal of Biliteracy.Who is eligible to take the CTT exam?1. Students who do not already have levels 1 and 2 credits in the language of the exam on their transcript (from another country or from; the U.S.).2. Students who wish to earn the Seal of Biliteracy and already have credit for levels 1 & 2 in the language of the exam.3. Students who are sufficiently proficient to write in the exam language.
- Registration opens on September 17, 2021
- Registration closes on October 29, 2021
4. For the November 2021 exams, students who are literate in the following languages: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese/Mandarin, Farsi, French, German, Gujarati, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog/Filipino, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu, and Vietnamese.Students may register for the CTT on LARS. A confirmation ticket will be sent to the student and the parent/guardian email on file.For more information, contact the Office of World Languages and Cultures at email@example.com or call (571) 252-1410.2021-2022 Credit Through Testing Exam SitesStudents may register for the CTT on LARS beginning September 17, 2021. A confirmation ticket will be sent to the student and the parent/guardian email on file.
- A student who does not possess this writing ability will likely have difficulty demonstrating the required writing proficiency to pass the exam.
- If the exam language is Spanish and the school offers a Spanish for Fluent Speakers course, this may be the best venue for the Spanish-speaking student to achieve higher levels of proficiency in his/her first language.
- One component of the exam is for the student to read and comprehend the instructions and writing prompts in the exam language. If the student has difficulty reading the exam language, he/she will likely be unable to understand the prompt well enough to write a cohesive response.
TIMENovember 8, 2021Tuscarora HS Cafeteria801 N. King StreetLeesburg, VA4:30 - 6:30 p.m.(Check-in begins at 4:00 p.m.)November 9, 2021Park View HS Cafeteria400 W. Laurel AvenueSterling, VA4:30 - 6:30 p.m.(Check-in begins at 4:00 p.m.)November 10, 2021Broad Run HS Cafeteria21670 Ashburn Road Ashburn, VA4:30 - 6:30 p.m.(Check-in begins at 4:00 p.m.)November 11, 2021Lightridge HS Cafeteria 41025 Collaboration Drive Aldie, VA4:30 - 6:30 p.m.(Check-in begins at 4:00 p.m.)