John Champe High School Office of School Counseling Statement of Philosophy, Vision and Mission
John Champe High School Counselors believe:
- All students have dignity and worth.
- All students have the capacity to learn and can achieve given proper support.
- All students have the ability to self-advocate, exhibit personal responsibility, and strive for accountability.
- All students are unique and contribute to the school community through their varied social, ethnic, cultural, racial, and academic backgrounds, experiences, and strengths.
- The home, school, and community share responsibility for the education and success of John Champe High School students.
Therefore, the John Champe High School comprehensive school counseling program will:
- Advocate for every student.
- Be student-centered. The program will be based on specified goals and developmental student competencies for all students.
- Include education that extends beyond the classroom environment and allows students to develop lifelong skills that can assist them in the pursuit of their life goals while developing positive character traits and skills to become productive citizens and lifelong learners.
- Be data-driven. Data will be used in assessing the needs and effectiveness of the school counseling program and will drive future program development impacting personal/social, career and academic growth.
- Evolve to meet the needs of students.
And that all school counselors in John Champe High School:
- Will be full-time employees who hold state certification and have obtained a master’s degree in school counseling and who will deliver the school counseling program as outlined in the Standards for School Counseling Programs in Virginia Public Schools.
- Abide by the professional school counseling ethics as advocated by the American School Counselor Association and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Participate in professional development essential to maintaining a quality school counseling program.
The counseling department will ensure that every student at John Champe High School is provided access to a comprehensive school counseling program that will facilitate the development of their full intellectual, social, and emotional potential. Counselors work in conjunction with teachers, families, and the community to assist students in the development and achievement of immediate and future goals to maximize student achievement. In addition, counselors support a rigorous learning environment where all students can value learning, appreciate diversity and demonstrate responsible citizenship.
Office of School Counseling Vision
The John Champe Counseling Department collaborates with community stakeholders and faculty to provide all students with the necessary tools to become lifelong learners and positive contributors to society. The data-driven program arms the counselors to purposefully address students’ academic, personal/social, and college/career goals, fostering an environment where students see the counselors as mentors and the parents as partners. The John Champe counselors commit to an array of programs and resources to ensure all students become confident and successful young adults.