Let's learn and grow together!
- Pathways Unit of Study: Second Grade Reading Growth Spurt
- Focus is on using electronic resources to find "Good Fit" fiction books to read on an independent reading level.
- Students are learning the steps required to access books with programs online: Kids A-Z, MackinVIA, and Tumblebooks. They will work on improve reading stamina, and creating reading goals.
- Teachers are assessing students using the DRA reading assessments (online)
- Teachers are modeling fiction reading strategies and asking students to respond to reading using a variety of strategies like "Stop and Jot" where students write their thoughts down in bullet form
- Pathways Unit of Study: Revving Up Writing Muscles and Lessons from the Masters: Improving Narrative Craft
- Students are writing about a small moment as their personal narrative. There will be an emphasis on using correct sentence structure, capitalization, and punctuation. They will be working through the writing process with a focus on prewriting strategies and recognizing the beginning, middle, and end of a story and implementing that in their own writings.
Extending Place Value (2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.16)
- Students identify patterns while using a variety of models to explore place value, comparing, ordering and rounding numbers, skip counting, and determining even and odd numbers.
- Students practice identifying and writing ordinal numbers.
*KEY VOCABULARY: place value, digit, ones, tens, hundreds, standard form, word form, expanded form, greater than, less than, equal and not equal
Computational Fluency (2.5, 2.16)
Addition/Subtraction Facts & Problem Solving
- Students explore patterns and relationships between addition and subtraction within 20 and develop strategies for computation and problem solving.
*KEY VOCABULARY for Fact Stategies: addend, sum, difference, number sentence
*KEY VOCABULARY for Problem Solving: in all, altogether, total, how many more, how many less/fewer
- How can the resources in my community be categorized as natural, human and capital?
- How can I explain with pride what I know about my family and my culture?
- How can I demonstrate respect for myself and others that are different from me
- How do I show respect for my country through the Pledge of Allegiance?
History 2.4, (c, g, i)
Who are the following good citizens and leaders and how did they contribute to their communities?
- Abraham Lincoln
- Rosa Parks
- Cesar Chavez
- How can I show a representation of the main continents and oceans of the world?
- How can I show on what continent I live and near what major ocean?
Living Systems and Processes
2.4, 2.1 Central Idea: Plants and animals undergo change
Unit: Life cycles of the plant, butterfly and deer
2.4 The student will investigate and understand that plants and animals undergo a series of orderly changes as they grow and develop. Key ideas include
- animals have life cycles; and
- plants have life cycles.
2.5, 2.1 Central Idea: Living organisms interact with other living organisms
Unit: Animals and Animal Adaptations
2.5 The student will investigate and understand that living things are part of a system. Key ideas include
- plants and animals are interdependent with their living and nonliving surroundings;
- an animal’s habitat provides all of its basic needs; and
- habitats change over time due to many influences
How to help your child at home:
Schoology- Remind your child to log into LCPS Go, click on Schoology, Go to Updates and read teacher message BEFORE doing any work in Schoology!
Distance Learning- Provide a working space for your child: a desk or table to work at, comfortable chair, 2nd grade supplies should be available and close by! Take care of the Math Tool Kit and other LES materials sent home this year.
Reading at home:
Ask your child to read for 15 minutes each night and then retell 5 events in the story or share 5 new or interesting facts. Your child can find many books online by going to LCPS Go, then logging into Kids A-Z or clicking the icon for Library Resources and visiting Tumblebooks (search for a topic in the search bar)
Math Practice at home:
Go to LCPS GO and click into DREAMBOX for additional math practice and problem solving.
Thank you so much for your support this year!
The Second Grade Team