CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES (CPS) REPORTING LINK
*DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC, CPS WILL NO LONGER ACCEPT REPORTS THROUGH EMAIL, THE LCPS ONLINE PORTAL, OR FAX. ALL REPORTS ARE TO BE MADE DIRECTLY TO THE CPS HOTLINE (703) 771 - KIDS (5437). CHANGES WILL TAKE PLACE MONDAY, APRIL 20TH.
All LCPS staff are considered mandatory reporters. If they have reason to suspect a child has been neglected or abused, they should follow LCPS Policy 7530, Duty to Report Child Abuse and Neglect. LCPS staff should follow the directions below. No further investigation, regarding the alleged neglect or abuse, should be conducted by school staff.
Please submit your CPS reports in the following manner:
- Per Policy 7530, notify the principal/supervisor or designee of the suspected abuse or neglect.
- The principal/supervisor or designee will call the CPS hotline, 703-771-KIDS (5437)
- During COVID-19, if you are unable to contact the principal/supervisor or designee, please call the CPS hotline directly. Inform the principal/supervisor or designee as soon as possible after you have contacted CPS.
- If the alleged abuser is an employee, contact the principal/supervisor or designee. If the alleged abuser is the principal, contact Human Resources and Talent Development (HRTD) at 571-252-1100. HRTD will call the CPS hotline and report the suspected abuse or neglect.
- After CPS has been contacted, via the CPS hotline, principals/supervisors or designees should use the LCPS ONLINE REPORTING PORTAL to document the information.
- No further investigation, regarding the alleged neglect or abuse, should be conducted by staff.
All CPS reports must be submitted within 24 hours of any employee having reason to suspect that a child has been neglected or abused. Based on the information provided, the CPS Online Referral will automatically route to CPS, the principal, and all other appropriate designees. CPS staff will respond within 24 hours, via email, to inform you if the report is valid or non-valid.
The CPS Hotline is staffed Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., except for holidays and when the County is closed. Reports can also be made to the State Child Protective Services Hotline, 24/7, at 800-552-7096 or the Sheriff’s Office at 703-777-0445.