CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES (CPS) REPORTING LINK
CPS WILL NO LONGER ACCEPT REPORTS THROUGH EMAIL, THE LCPS ONLINE PORTAL, OR FAX. ALL REPORTS ARE TO BE MADE DIRECTLY TO THE CPS HOTLINE (703)-771-KIDS(5473) or the NEW Virginia Department of Social Services Online Portal, using the link below (#5).
All LCPS staff are considered mandatory reporters. If they have reason to suspect a child has been neglected or abused, they should follow LCPS Policy 7530, Duty to Report Child Abuse and Neglect. LCPS staff should follow the directions below. No further investigation, regarding the alleged neglect or abuse, should be conducted by school staff.
Please submit your CPS reports in the following manner:
- Per Policy 7530, notify the principal/supervisor or designee of the suspected abuse or neglect.
- The principal/supervisor or designee will call the CPS hotline, 703-771-KIDS (5437)
- During COVID-19, if you are unable to contact the principal/supervisor or designee, please call the CPS hotline directly. Inform the principal/supervisor or designee as soon as possible after you have contacted CPS.
- If the alleged abuser is an employee, contact the principal/supervisor or designee. If the alleged abuser is the principal, contact Human Resources and Talent Development (HRTD) at 571-252-1100. HRTD will call the CPS hotline and report the suspected abuse or neglect.
- Reports or emergencies can also be made to the Loudoun County Sheriff's Office at 703-771-0445 or the State Child Protective Services Hotline, 24/7, at 800-552-7096. In addition, the Virginia Department of Social Services has created an online portal that mandatory reporters may use. LCPS employees may use this LINK, AS A LAST RESORT, to access this portal when the CPS Hotline in not available. The employee should then report his/her concerns to the principal, or designee, as soon as possible. ADDITIONALLY, THE INCIDENT MUST BE REPORTED TO THE CPS HOTLINE 703-771-KIDS (5437) on the next business day. The principal, or designee, will then submit the internal LCPS ONLINE REPORTING LINK.
- After CPS has been contacted, via the CPS hotline, principals/supervisors or designees should use the LCPS ONLINE REPORTING PORTAL to document the information.
- No further investigation, regarding the alleged neglect or abuse, should be conducted by staff.
All CPS reports must be submitted within 24 hours of any employee having reason to suspect that a child has been neglected or abused. Based on the information provided, the CPS Online Referral will automatically route to CPS, the principal, and all other appropriate designees. CPS staff will respond within 24 hours, via email, to inform you if the report is valid or non-valid.
The CPS Hotline is staffed Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., except for holidays and when the County is closed. Reports can also be made to the State Child Protective Services Hotline, 24/7, at 800-552-7096 or the Sheriff’s Office at 703-777-0445.
In the event a Child Protective Services (CPS) or Foster Care and Adoption (FCA) staff member arrives at your school, the Loudoun County Department of Family Services, CPS and FCA, want you to be aware of the list of current staff members as of March 17th, 2021. Please use this link to review the most current list of CPS and FCA staff.