The vision of the River Bend School Counseling Department is to empower all students with the academic, social emotional, and interpersonal skills necessary to achieve success in school and post-secondary pursuits and to become contributing members in their diverse community. Students will participate in a school curriculum that promotes equity and gives students a voice. We strive for all students to fully develop their self-awareness, social awareness, self-management, relationship, and responsible decision making skills to help them become ethical, empathic, and responsible members of a global society and their community.
The mission of the River Bend School Counseling Department is to provide a comprehensive, data driven program that supports students’ academic, social/emotional and career development to promote the academic achievement of all students and prepare them to be successful in their postsecondary endeavours. School counselors will work collaboratively with teachers, staff, families, and community members to promote a positive, safe, and supportive school community in which learning is student centered, individualized and differentiated based on the needs of the students. The counseling department will help in building relationships with all stakeholders to make sure that instruction is equitable and every student has an opportunity to be successful. Through the collaboration of the whole school community, we encourage students to have a growth mindset and learn through failures. We endeavour to have our students become lifelong learners who exemplify responsibility, integrity, trust, and commitment.
- All students are valued and have a right to be treated with respect and dignity
- All students are members of the school community and their voice should be heard
- All students have a right to access the school curriculum.
- All students have a right to access the school counseling program and services
- All students are individuals and have different learning styles and strengths
- All students have the ability to learn and achieve
- All student should have trusted adults in the school building that are available to talk to
- Diversity is embraced and celebrated
- All students should have an opportunity to develop social and emotional competenceis which include: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationships skills, and responsible decision making skills
- The school counseling program will be comprehensive in support students' academic, social/emotional, and career development
- The school counseling program is data driven and results are shared and reviewed with all stakeholders through the Advisory Council