English 9 Honors Course Description:
The course focuses on oral language instruction with an emphasis on dramatic reading of literary selections and planned oral presentations. The reading and literature component focuses on a study of fiction and nonfiction genres. Writing instruction develops skills in narrative, expository, and informational writing. Direct vocabulary instruction improves students' reading and writing fluency and prepares them for the SOL, SAT, and ACT tests. Students produce documented research papers, using print, electronic databases, and online sources.
2nd Quarter 9-Week Plan:
Diving Question: Am I my brother's keeper? What is our responsibility to other human beings (especially to those who are weaker, isolated, or different from us)?
- Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck)
- Independent Reading (choice novels selected by students)
- Thesis Statements, body paragraphs with supporting evidence, ACE paragraph structure, quote integration
- County approved lists and vocabulary in context from texts
- Comma usage and writing complex sentences, continue to review(No Red Ink)