Welcome to AP Stats!
2019-2020: Mrs. Ring
How we are learning this year…..
Students enrolled in AP Statistics will be expected to learn how to gather, analyze, and interpret data, identify bias, use probability models, and make inferential predictions based on data.
Students will be primarily using the Workshop Model in class which emphasizes group work and assignments. A collaborative approach to solving problems is used daily. Guided practice, labs and projects are used to enhance understanding.
Collaboration is built in to the setup of the class. Students are encouraged to help and support each other in learning concepts.
What students should expect….
Many of the concepts in this class are not what students think of as math. We do large amounts of writing. Most of what we do that is “mathy” is done on the calculator.
Concepts build upon each other, so it is imperative that if students need help or miss a topic, they seek out assistance before troubles “snowball.”
Where to find class information?
Students will be able to locate their notes, assignments, reflections, and videos supporting notes and assignments on Google Classroom through their lcps.org accounts (enrollment code: aqhv8c2 ). Grades are updated usually by the Friday of each week - my goal has always been to grade and return all assignments as soon as possible.
Parents will be emailed through ParentVue on a regular basis regarding upcoming topics, what’s going on in class, and upcoming due dates and reminders.
How will I communicate with students and parents?
- Email: email@example.com (I generally attempt to respond within a 24 to 48 hour time period)
- Remind: text @apsring20 to 81010. I use this to send out information and reminders to students. Students may use this to get in touch with me if questions arise that need more immediate answers.
- During Viking Time: I will be found in room 120 (unless I put a note on the door)
- Before school: Most days, I will be available from 8:15-9:00 in room 120.
- Last Block of the Day: I have duty during the last block of the day every day in the Viking Head Foyer.
- 3 ring binder
- TI-84 calculator
- This will be necessary should your student decide to take the AP exam. Desmos is NOT an accepted calculator for the AP Statistics exam
- I maintain a class set of 20 calculators in my room for student use during the school day. They may not be removed from the classroom
Cell Phone Policy:
Cell phones are expected to be put away during class time unless directly instructed by Mrs. Ring. If a student is using a cell phone during class, they will be directed to put it in the box located on their table until the end of class.