Math Department Grading and Retake Plan 2019-20
The math department grading practice is that summative assignments count for 90% of the grade. Formative assignments, such as study guides, quizzes, ALEKS, and checkpoints count for 10% of the grade.
Formative grades are final.
Summative tests may be eligible for retakes based on the following requirements.
Math Retake Requirements
Each test is directly linked to Virginia Standard(s) of Learning.
79% or below--Students have the option to retake the test if they meet the conditions listed below.
80% or above-- No Retake.
Conditions for retake:
- All homework, study guides, and other assignments must be fully completed by teacher assigned due date(s)
- Reteaching assignment must be completed and mistakes will be analyzed according to teacher direction
- Math resource session may be required by teacher
The retake will be given on the date designated by the teacher.
Teachers reserve the right to refuse the retake option – some reasons may include:
- inadequate preparation
- students trying to raise grade due to careless errors made rather than conceptual issues
The higher of the two grades will be the final score recorded in the grade-book.
The retake may be given on the day of the next summative assessment or on a date the teacher designates.
Students who are eligible for a retake and DO NOT follow the steps above by the deadline will not be allowed to complete the retake.
Math 6 Retake Practice
- In addition to the criteria listed above, Math 6 students earning a 79% or below may be granted the opportunity to retake per teacher discretion.
Math 6/7 Accelerated, Math 7, and Math 8 Retake Practice
- In addition to the criteria listed above, Math 6/7, Math 7, Math 8 students may be eligible for a maximum of three section retakes during the first semester and two
section retakes for the second semester.
Algebra 1 Retake Practice
- In addition to the criteria listed above, Algebra 1 students may be eligible for a maximum of two section retakes during the first semester. Students are eligible for
one retake during the second semester. All retake grades will be capped at an 80% for Algebra and Geometry.
Geometry Retake Practice
- In addition to the criteria listed above, Geometry students may be eligible for a maximum of one section retake during the first semester and one section retake during
the second semester. All retake grades will be capped at an 80% for Algebra and Geometry.