AP THEMES: Families in Different Societies. The Influence of Language and Culture on Identity
AP SUB THEMES: Language and identity. Family Structure. Identity and Multiculturalism.
Theme: Learning about us. Who are we? Where do we come from?
The role of family and language in shaping our values and beliefs
Unit I: What is a family?
- Explore the Hispanic heritage in your own family, community and school.
- Recognize the key elements that identify a Hispanic family.
- Compare and contrast Hispanic and American families.
- Discuss and/or debate cultural differences.
- Produce an activity showing understanding of your cultural heritage.
Unit II: What is special about speaking Spanish?
- Identify local Spanish speaking communities.
- Maintain a discussion related to: How do you use Spanish to express yourself?
- Express opinions and react to cultural background.
Integrating Unit I and Unit II:
- Demonstrate comprehension of content from authentic audio-visual texts relating to the Hispanic heritage.
- Movies as an expression of culture and identity: evaluate and interpret.
- Analyze the relationship between cultural stereotyping and its implications in different cultures.
- Produce oral, written and audiovisual reports.
AP THEME: Influences of Beauty and Art
AP SUB THEME: Contribution to World Artistic Heritage: Literature and Fine Arts.
Theme: Beauty as a Social Construct
- What is beautiful? Discuss and identify cultural elements in the definition of beauty.
- Discuss ways in which societies transmit culturally valuable information: oral narration and written text.
- Compare and contrast oral and written word. Identify basic elements and common themes.
- Demonstrate comprehension of content from authentic audio-visual texts.
- Evaluate and interpret written texts and materials identifying literary elements.
- Make connections between context and production.
- Analyze language varieties within cultures through comparison of use and purpose of short stories, music,
audiovisual productions and the Fine Arts.
- Reflect on personal connections to short stories and your preferences of literature, music and the Fine
- Produce an activity showing understanding of Spanish-speaking communities in the United States and
Spanish-speaking countries; cultural heritage, and Influence of Beauty and the Arts such as: food, music,
customs, holidays, celebrations, traditions and values.
AP THEME: How Science and Technology Affect our Life. Factors that Impact Quality of Life
AP SUB THEME: Social Impact of Technology, Ethical Questions
Theme: Technology and everyday life
Unit IV: How your life is affected by technology
- Discuss ways in which technology is present in your everyday life.
- Compare societies and individuals before and after they incorporated technology.
- Analyze the relationship between individuals and technology.
- Express opinions on the importance of technology to you or your community.
- Create oral and written reports on the topic.
- Create an oral presentation reflecting current trends and/or attitudes in society related to global challenges
(social issues, human rights, diversity issues, environmental issues, health issues)
AP THEME: Environmental, Political, and Social Challenges
AP SUB THEME: Diversity Issues and Human Rights
Theme: Freedom of Speech and Human Rights
Unit V: Express and support ideas: Speak out!
- Explore freedom of speech in the context of your own community or school. Identify topics covered.
- Analyze instances of public speaking: what concepts or ideas are being supported?
- How do you or your community express opinions and/or react to global challenges.
- Debate: how social and/or human rights issues are discussed today in different cultural groups.
- Make connections between historical contexts and current attitudes towards different opinions defending and challenging a controversial topic.
- Create a presentation on a controversial topic.