Suicide Prevention Information and Resources
Loudoun County Public Schools uses a multilayered approach to suicide prevention. This includes suicide prevention and depression awareness presentations to students in grades 8-12 (SOS Signs of Suicide® Suicide Prevention Program), adoption of the Sources of Strength program through the support of the Ryan Bartel Foundation, annual parent presentations conducted by a nationally recognized expert in the treatment of youth suicide and substance use, staff training regarding signs of and how to seek help for psychologically distressed students, and targeted suicide risk screenings completed by school mental health staff (school counselors, psychologists, social workers, and student assistance specialists). On this page, you can learn more about LCPS's approach to suicide prevention and review information about emergency and local resources, warning signs of suicide, home-based strategies to reduce suicide risk, and information regarding evidence-based treatment for suicidal youth.
Emergency: How Do I Access Help Now?
If anyone is harming themselves now or has just harmed themselves, call 911 and ask for a Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) deputy or officer.
There are also resources available 24 hours, 7 days a week for youth experiencing depression, suicidal thoughts or other behavioral crises. Call 988 from a phone with a Northern Virginia area code (703 or 571) to be automatically linked with the Region 2 (Northern Virginia) Crisis Call Center.
Click the arrows next to each topic or the "expand all" button to learn more about available resources, Youth Warning Signs for Suicide, talking about suicide, and LCPS suicide prevention.
Free, Confidential 24/7 Supports
Assessment of Suicide Risk at Local Emergency Rooms
Youth Warning Signs
How Do I Respond: Tips for Talking About Suicide?
SOS Signs of Suicide
Suicide Risk Screening
Suicide Prevention at Home
- Loudoun County Medication and Firearm Storage - Loudoun County offers free storage for medications and firearms.
- Be SMART Firearm Safety & Gun Storage - Learn more about SMART and secure gun storage and firearm safety.
- Suicide-Proof Your Home - Strategies for means restriction and enhancing the safety of your home.
- Harvard Means Matter - Recommendations for families to keep suicidal family members safe.
Understanding Suicide for Families
- Facts about Suicide - This document, from the CDC, provides an overview of some basic suicide facts.
- Youth Suicide Warning Signs - Learn about warning signs that a youth may be suicidal.
- What Every Parent Should Know about Suicide Prevention - This brochure from the Virginia Department of Health reviews warning signs of suicide and strategies for talking to your child when concerned about suicide.
- What to Do if You're Woried About Suicide: A Parent's Guide to Helping a Child in Distress - This article, shared by the Virginia Department of Education, reviews strategies for talking to your child when you are concerned about suicide.
- Suicide Prevention for Parents Brochure - This brochure, shared by the Virginia Department of Education (also available in Spanish), describes warning signs of suicide, steps families can take when they are concerned about their child, and resources for support.
- What Parents Need to Know about Suicide Prevention - This free online course through parentguidance.org provides information about how parents can help to prevent suicide.
- Tips for Asking Someone About Suicide - This document, shared by the Virginia Department of Education, provides ten tips for asking someone about suicide.
- Supporting Your Teen After the Suicide of a Friend - Learn more about how to support your teen after a friend dies by suicide.
- Social Media After Suicide Loss - Learn more about social media use and suicide loss and prevention.
- The Ryan Bartel Foundation - The Ryan Bartel Foundation is a local non-profit organization and partner with LCPS whose mission is to prevent youth suicide through awareness, upstream educational programs and activities that support and empower youth, families and the community at-large through acceptance, connection, resiliency and hope.
- Loudoun County Mental Health, Substance Abuse, and Developmental Services - Learn about Loudoun County resources for mental health treatment, suicide prevention, and support.
- Society of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology's Effective Child Therapy - Learn about when to seek treatment and evidence-based approaches to support your child.
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center - Learn about suicide and effective prevention.