ROLE AND MISSION OF THE PARENT LIAISON
A Parent Liaison is a LCPS staff member, not a volunteer, who works to bridge the communication between school and home by helping parents get the information, help, and support they need to ensure their child's academic and social success in school. A Parent Liaison is to empower parents to become active participants in the education of their children. Confidentiality is always upheld!
Current research emphasizes the importance of parent involvement in promoting school success. At the same time, lack of participation among parents of socially and culturally diverse students is also well-documented. Today’s families constantly deal with stress that impacts students’ abilities to participate in academic and extra-curricular school activities. If schools are to do an effective job of educating their increasingly diverse populations of students, they must find ways to communicate and build more cooperative working relationships with parents.
How Parent Liaisons can help:
- Facilitate parent-school communication
- Facilitate community agency referrals
- Encourage parent involvement in the school
- Foster trust between parents and the educational community
- Foster higher academic achievement through collaboration with school personnel