Loudoun County Public Schools recognizes the risks and takes steps to prevent problems that can occur when students use the internet. Our students are provided with instruction in our K-12 Digital Citizenship curriculum that prepares them to know the risks and utilize strategies to maintain security.
Loudoun County Public Schools approach to online security
There are things that parents and students can do at home.
What can students do?
- Never share your passwords with others. If you create an account to subscribe to a web site outside of LCPS-Go!, DO NOT use your LCPS credentials. Create a separate, strong password. Strong passwords are a combination of at least 6 letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Be careful about sharing personal information on social media.
What can parents do?
- Download software from only reputable sites to avoid malware.
- Don’t store payment information online if possible.
- Create separate strong passwords for separate vendors so if one is compromised, the rest aren’t. Keep a list of passwords on paper in a safe place away from the computer.
- Monitor your child’s use of the internet at home.