Advanced Placement Courses and ExamsAdvanced Placement ProgramThe Advanced Placement Program is a cooperative education endeavor with the College Board. Advanced Placement courses, often known as AP, allow students the opportunity to take college-level courses while they are enrolled in high school. Students enrolled in an AP course should expect extensive reading, writing, and critical thinking.Advanced Placement ExamsIn the spring students are encouraged to take the nationally standardized AP examinations. AP classes are "weighted" by 1 in the grade point average calculation process if the student passes the course. Colleges may award academic credit and/or special placement if a student earns a qualifying score on the exam. Costs of the AP examinations for students enrolled in related AP classes are paid by students/parents. Students are not required to take the exam to earn the 1.0 weighting, however the student would not be eligible for college credit by not taking the exam.
College Board has started a new registration process for AP Testing. Students must complete the following steps to take an AP Exam:
- Log-in to their College Board Account.
- Join the AP Classroom with the unique class code given to them (this was done with all students in the beginning of September).
- Payments: credit card payments can be made on-line. To pay by credit card: On-line Payment. Once at the on-line portal, find Loudoun County High School before selecting AP test(s). You will simply select the number of tests your student is taking.
- OR you may pay by check (payable to LCHS) or cash payments. Please bring those payments to the Ms. Mitchum in the School Counseling Office.
AP Exams Costs and Deadlines
- In addition, students must complete and turn in a AP Exam Form to the School Counseling Office. (Most important step in the process.)
- Advanced Placement Exams are $85.00 per exam. Payment deadline is November 1, 2019.
- Students who register after Nov 1, 2019 will be charged a $40 late fee per exam.
- Refunds provided to students who cancel their AP exam or fail to test between Nov 15-March 6, 2020 will excludea $40 non-refundable fee.
- After March 6, 2020, exam adds or drops are not permitted.
Last Modified on September 25, 2019