Trouble Ticket (LANDesk Service Desk)
The HelpDesk if NOT just for when something is broken!
ITIL v3 defines an incident as ‘an unplanned interruption to an IT service or reduction in the quality of an IT service.’ It is a break/fix issue that needs to be resolved. When something doesn’t work the way it is supposed to, it causes ‘unplanned interruptions’ to the service and creates an incident. So the main goal of Incident Management is to provide a quick fix that resolves the interruption and restores the service to its full capacity. These interruptions can be anything from your computer not booting up, an application will not load properly, broken printer, to the WiFi not working.
Some Incident Examples:
- No sound on Active Board
- Laptop keeps shutting down
- Outlook emails loading slowly
- Repair cracked screen
- Hard Drive Long Test Unsuccessful
- Mom cannot access parentVUE. She knows the email and the user name but doesn't receive an email when she clicks on "Forgot password"
- I do not see my H Drive. I am connected to the school's secure internet and have tried to restart my computer, but I still do not see my H drive.
- Laptop number 22 on the Third Grade Cart will not connect to wifi. I couldn't figure out how to turn it back on.
- Laptop is slow, locks up.
Service Requests, however, are defined as ‘a formal request from a user for something to be provided – for example, a request for information or advice’, new hardware/software/access. In other words, a service request is raised when you want something that you don’t have in the first place. Requests are typically the “How do I…” or “Change in Service”. Be it access to a network drive, access to a printer or upgrading to a higher version of a software. Password resets are considered a service request because the IT system is working properly, the user just forgot their password. Typically there are a lot more requests than there are incidents.
Some Service Request Examples:
- LEAD Password Reset
- Oracle Password Reset
- Request Teacher Device
- Add new secretary to outlook distribution list
- Need network access in room 121
- Request to move equipment
- Changed School From SBH to RVH
- Teacher needs access to gradebook for another teacher
- Please add 5 Acer CBs to LCPS system so that these Acer CB can be used on LCPS network for testing purposes
- Add CI to Asset Management
- The January SAT file is ready to upload
- Please give Jane Doe Phoenix access to RVH for today.
- I want to watch these videos in my international relations class on the economist website but they are blocked.
- Phoenix Question