Sources of Strength is an evidence based suicide prevention program that exists in schools across the country. The goal is to help students identify and strengthen the multiple sources of support they have so that when times get hard, they have strengths to rely on. Sources of Strength club aims to empower diverse student leaders and adult advisors at Blue Ridge to spread messages of Hope, Help, and Strength to our school community. Check out this short video to learn more from LCPS certified trainers!
At the core of the Sources of Strength program is the wheel of strengths. It identifies eight strengths that research has shown help teens overcome challenging times. The wheel below showcases these eight areas of strength - Family Support, Positive Friends, Mentors, Healthy Activities, Generosity, Spirituality, Physical Health, and Mental Health. All of our activities and campaigns focus on helping students connect with and use these strengths.
Check out the campaigns our Sources of Strength club has done!
- Ways to Tap Into Your Sources of Strength at Home
- Generosity Advisory Lesson
- "What Helps Me" video
- Weekly Positivity Quotes during Spring 2021
- Mental Health Awareness week May 2021 activities
- Talk It Out Tuesday - students identified and connected with their Trusted Adults (Family Support, Mentor)
- Walk It Out Wednesday - students chose a new or favorite healthy activity to do (Healthy Activities)
- Thoughtful Thursday - students completed random acts of kindness (Generosity)
- Feel Good Friday - students chose a healthy activity to help them destress and stay positive (Healthy Activities, Spirituality)
- Tree of Life Food Drive - throughout the week students donated over 350lbs of food and nonfood items to benefit Tree of Life (Generosity)
Sources of Strength Club Sponsors and Adult Advisors:
Lynsey Riley, School Psychologist
Lottie Kohl, School Social Worker
Angela Mosley, Health & PE Teacher
Stefanie Hannah, English Teacher
Contact us if you are interested in learning more or want to get involved.