English 12 PBL: School Safety Unit Resources
Note: I will be posting documents on this site for my Project-Based Unit on School Safety to share with anyone interested in using them. I will be adding more in the coming weeks and updating these as I try them out in class and then refine them. I'd love to hear any feedback or suggestions you might have as well. Email me at Christopher.Cuozzo@lcps.org
- Can or should something be done to improve school safety in the U.S.?
- Have U.S. schools become less safe over time? If so, what factors have contributed to these changes?
- What have schools done to try to address this? To what extent have these measures been effective?
- What else can/should school districts, counties, states, and/or federal government do to address this?
- What challenges have those trying to address these problems faced in the past, and what can be done to address those obstacles?
- What non-governmental organizations (NGOs) have been working to address these issues? To what extent and in what ways have they been successful? What else can/should they do?
- Research the problem, attempting to understand a range of perspectives and counter-arguments.
- Dig deeply into critically evaluating the reliability and credibility of the evidence you find.
- Map out your own ideas regarding causes, effects, and potential solutions. Focus on one aspect of this issue to zoom in on.
- Engage in a Socratic seminar with your peers about these ideas to get a deeper sense of the complexity of the issues involved.
- Develop plans for addressing the problem.
- Create a product that advocates for your solution with an authentic outside audience that has the power to enact the change you would like to see, such as
- a letter to a legislator in a position to advance or support legislation
- a multi-media product that will convince a wider audience to think, feel, or act in ways that will help to address the problem, which you will share through social media
- a Change.org petition aimed at influencing policy or legislative decisions
School Safety Research Portal (Begin your research here!)
WHS Project Research Portal: Research Portal (WHS Library)
Articles and Other Resources
Also, check out relevant articles on NEWSELA and Kelly Gallagher's Blog Blog Link