ASCA National Model Components
FDES Counseling Program Mission
The Frederick Douglass Elementary School Counseling program will develop an appropriate, comprehensive program that addresses the academic, career, and personal/social needs of all our students. We encourage an environment that appreciates and accepts our diverse community. Our mission coincides with our schools' mission and vision to provide a safe learning environment, in which we can build strong personal relationships while growing as respectful, responsible, and successful learners. Our goal is to provide an appropriate and comprehensive school counseling program to equip our students with the skills to be assertive for themselves and others along with creating learners that are safe, cooperative, accepting, respectful, and maintain self-control. We encourage communication and collaboration with students, staff, parents, and community members.
FDES Counseling Program Vision
The Frederick Douglass Elementary School Counseling program strives to empower all students to reach their maximum potential, by using an appropriate and comprehensive program that addresses academic, personal/social, and career goals. We will promote an environment to encourage students’ exploration of their interests, embrace their uniqueness, and continue to grow as life-long learners. The school counselors believe that every student can succeed through the collaborative efforts of school, home, and community leading to responsible and productive citizenship in the 21st century. Our vision is to prepare them for their future and help them view themselves as important members of their community.
- All students benefit from a comprehensive and developmentally appropriate school counseling program.
- All students deserve respect and are valued members of the school community.
- All students have the ability to grow and learn, in spite of adversity.
- The school counselors will advocate for the emotional, social and academic needs of their students.
- The school counselors will collaborate with staff, families, and the community which is a benefit to all students.
- The school counselors demonstrate professionalism and abide by the professional ethics set forth by the American School Counselor Association.