Fair Use Guidelines for Multimedia (http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/copyright1.html)
- Up to 10% of a copyrighted work or 1000 words, whichever is less
- Entire poem if less than 250 words
- 250 words or less if longer poem
- No more than 5 poems (or excerpts) of different poets, from an anthology
- Only 3 poems (or excerpts) per poet
- Up to 10% of a copyrighted work or 3 minutes, whichever is less
- Clip cannot be altered in any way
- A photograph or illustration may be used in its entirety
- No more than 5 images of an artist's or photographer's work
- When using a collection, no more than 10% or no more than 15 images, whichever is less
- Up to 10% of a copyrighted musical composition, but no more than 30 seconds
- Up to 10% of a body of sound recording, but no more than 30 seconds
- Any alterations cannot change the basic melody or the fundamental character of the work
- Internet resources often combine both copyrighted and public domain sites; therefore, care should be used in downloading any sites for use in multimedia presentations.
- Until further clarification, educators and students are advised to write for permission to use Internet resources and to be mindful of the copyright ramifications of including embedded additional links to that particular site.
More ResourcesCopyright in an Electronic EnvironmentGuide lines from a consortium of college and university media centers.