VASO - Virginia Science Olympiad Competition 2019-20REGISTRATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED !!
(ALL 45 SPOTS FOR 2019-20 SY HAVE BEEN FILLED) !!
Dear Parents and Guardians
RLC PTO Board and VASO Club Coordinators are pleased to announce that we will be sponsoring the Virginia Science Olympiad (VASO) initiative. RLC VASO Club can comprise of 45 students from grades 3, 4 and 5 who can participate in upto 3 events in the VASO Division A Competition during 2019-20 school year.
VASO initiative is a great introduction for students to the fields of science - Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Astronomy etc. - in a fun way through experimentation. It also encourages team work, planning, presentation and creativity.
School Team Structure
- The maximum number of students allowed from a school for VASO competition is 45. There will be a first come first serve waitlist as well.
- All RLC students from grades 3, 4 and 5 during 2019-20 school year are eligible for participation.
- Students zoned to RLC from Creighton's corner for 2019-20 school year are also welcome to register for RLC PTO VASO Club if they are Rising Grade 3, 4 or 5 students.
Information Night Session
VASO Coordinators will hold a VASO Information Night Session on Tuesday May 21, 2019 from 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM in the RLC Library (This is a parents only session). We welcome all interested RLC parents of students in Rising Grades 3, 4 and 5 to attend this Information Night Session.
The RLC PTO VASO 2019-20 document provides high level information about the RLC PTO sponsored VASO initiative.
Competition Events, Descriptions & Rules
There are four categories of events in VASO for 2019-20 competition and are described here 2019-20 VASO Events & Descriptions. Parents should review the topics listed here with their child to determine what interests their child. Each student is encouraged to shortlist 3-5 topics they would like to compete in and pick upto 3 events when they register.
You can reference 2018-19 VASO Events & Descriptions for an overview of the rules of the competition from last year.
The tentative dates given by VASO Div A Competition Organizers are - November 23, 2019 and December 7, 2019. The competition runs from morning 9am - 6pm. Please make sure your students are available all day on these dates prior to registration.
- Registration Date & Time: Online Registration will open on May 28, 2019 at 9PM EST. Cost of the registration will be $50 per child for 2019-20 School Year VASO Club. RLC PTO will be accepting Registrations Online on a first-come-first-serve basis for the 45 spots from rising Grades 3, 4 and 5 students.
- Eligibility: Only students entering RLC Grades 3, 4 & 5 in 2019-20 School Year are eligible.
- Registration Process: Click the Registration link given above and complete the VASO Club Registration step for your child/children including making the $50 per child payment on the RLC PTO Online Registration Portal. Make sure you return from the Paypal screen back to Jumbula Registration Portal to complete your registration process for each child/children. Once you complete this process you will receive the Signup Genius Event Registration link to pick the 2019-20 events your child/children want to participate in.
- Tips to Save Time: https://rlcpto.jumbula.com/#/pto-membership - Register your child/children on this site with your personal email address (non @lcps.com and non @rlcpto.org email addresses) ahead of time. If you forgot your password, please click on Login/SignUp link and click Forgot my password to reset your password ahead of time. These steps will help you save time during the VASO Club registration.
- Waitlist: In case the maximum permitted 45 spots fill up - please add your name to a wait list on the system. In case any of the first 45 students drop out - we will inform the parents on the wait list on a first come basis.
- Event Signup: We strongly recommend that parents select a minimum of 1 event and maximum of 3 events when picking the events for your child/children using the Signup Genius link you receive when you finish the registration. If you did not finish the registration for your child, you will not receive the Signup Genius link from RLC PTO and you should not be using the Signup Genius link. Any deviations from this sequence will warrant the VASO Club Coordinators to deny your child access to this year's competition to be fair to the community.
- Event Partners: When you signup for events, you can provide your preferred partner name(s) for each event. However, it is not guaranteed that all 45 registered students will be able to compete in all the events they select or will be partnered with their preferred partners. VASO Coordinators will make their best effort to meet your requests. All final determinations regarding events and partners will be made by VASO Coordinators.
- Paid PTO Membership: Each of the 45 VASO Club students should be from Paid PTO Member families for 2019-20 school year. Paid PTO Memberships cover PTO's base operation costs and helps organize PTO sponsored Initiatives and Events. We will open Paid PTO Membership for 2019-20 school year on July 1, 2019 and remind all VASO Club Registrants to sign up to this mandatory step.
Event Time Commitments
- It is strongly recommended that each registered student - participating in an individual or team event - plan and spend approximately 1-3 hours each week per event until the competition date.
- When registering into multiple events, each student should carefully remember to multiply their recommended time commitment (1-3 hours per event) with the number of events they choose to participate in.
- Parents are the Event Mentors/Coaches and should plan to spend equivalent amount of time with their children to coach them.
Please feel free to reach out to PTO contacts below for any further information and assistance regarding the RLC PTO sponsored VASO enrichment activity.
VASO Coordinators - Rodney Cluck, Deepa Khanal, Shekar Machiraju