VASO - Virginia Science Olympiad Competition 2019-20
REGISTRATIONS WILL OPEN ON MAY 28, 2019 @ 9PM EST !!
Dear Parents and Guardians
RLC PTO Board and VASO Club Coordinators are pleased to announce that we will be sponsoring the Virginia Science Olympiad (VASO) initiative. RLC VASO Club can comprise of 45 students from Grades 3, 4 and 5 who can participate in multiple events in the VASO Division A Competition during 2019-20 school year.
VASO initiative is a great introduction for students into the fields of science - Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Astronomy etc. - in a fun way through experimentation. It also encourages team work, planning, presentation and creativity.
School Team Structure
- The maximum number of students allowed from a school for VASO competition is 45. There will be a first come first served waitlist as well.
- All RLC students from Grades 3, 4 and 5 during 2019-20 school year are eligible for participation.
- Students zoned to RLC from Creighton's corner for 2019-20 school year are also welcome to register for RLC PTO VASO Club if they are rising Grade 3, 4 or 5 students.
Information Session Night
VASO Coordinators will hold an VASO Information Night Session on Tuesday May 21, 2019 from 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM in the RLC Library (This is a parents only session). We welcome all interested RLC parents of students in Rising Grades 3, 4 and 5 to attend this Information Night Session.
The RLC PTO VASO 2019-20 document provides high level information about the RLC PTO Sponsored VASO initiative.
Competition Events, Descriptions & Rules
There are four categories of events in VASO for 2019-20 competition and are described here 2019-20 VASO Events & Descriptions. Parents should review the topics listed here with their child to determine what interests their child. Each student is encouraged to shortlist 3-5 topics they would like to compete in and pick upto 3 events when they register.
You can reference the 2018-19 VASO Events & Descriptions to review the format of rules for prior year competition.
The optimal dates given by VASO Div A Competition Organizers are - November 23, 2019 and December 7, 2019. The competition runs from morning 9am - 6pm. Please make sure your students are available all day on these dates prior to registeration.
- Online Registration will open on May 28, 2019 at 9PM EST
- Cost of registration will be $60 per child
- RLC PTO will be accepting online registrations on a first-come-first-served basis for the 45 spots from Grades 3, 4 and 5 students
- We strongly recommend that parents select a minimum of 1 event and maximum of 3 events for their students using the Signup Genius link they receive after completing their initial registration to be part of 45 spots.
- We will have a waitlist in case any students drop out from the top 45 spots.
- Each VASO Club Registrant is required to be Paid PTO Member family. [Paid PTO Membership covers PTO's base operation costs and helps them run PTO sponsored initiatives and events. We will open Paid PTO Membership on July 1, 2019 and remind all VASO Club registrants to sign up.]
- It is not guaranteed that all registered students will be able to compete in all the events they provide their preferences for. VASO Coordinator will make final determination.
Event Time Commitments
- It is strongly recommended each registered student - participating in an individual or team event - plan and spend approximately 1-3 hours each week per event until the Competition date.
- When registering into multiple events, each student should carefully remember to multiply their recommended time commitment (1-3 hours per event) with the number of events they choose to participate in.
- Parents are the Event Mentors/Coaches and should plan to spend equivalent amount of time as their children to coach them.
Please feel free to reach out to PTO contacts below for any further information and assistance regarding the RLC PTO sponsored VASO enrichment activity.
VASO Coordinators - Rodney Cluck, Deepa Khanal, Shekar Machiraju