Guitar Purchasing... Start Here First!
Information Regarding Guitars
I have a classroom set of classical guitars. Students do not need to bring their guitars to school. If there is a financial constraint, please let me know as soon as possible. There are a limited number of guitars available for loan.
- Students MUST have a guitar at home to practice with
- This guitar should be brought to school sometime during the first two weeks of school. I will tune them and make sure they are suitable instruments for your student
- Personal guitars need to be brought to school for ALL after school rehearsals and concerts
Purchasing a Guitar: Purchasing a classical guitar is REQUIRED for Guitar 7 and 8
- Purchase a Classical guitar, NOT an acoustic guitar. Classical guitars have a flat neck and nylon strings
- 4/4 or full size
Reputable Manufacturers: Plan to spend approximately $150
- Melodee Music—46077 Lake Center Plaza, Sterling
- Music and Arts—Cedar Lakes Plaza, Sterling (additional location in Leesburg) --musicandarts.com
- Guitar Center—11051 Lee Jackson Hwy, Fairfax--www.guitarcenter.com
- You can purchase a used instrument online from guitarcenter.com—it can be returned to the Fairfax store if it is unusable.
- Do not buy 39” DirectlyCheap, Lauren, Lucinda, or other similarly priced discount instruments from Amazon, Target, and Wal-Mart. They are often unplayable, and return shipping is expensive. Models from a reputable manufacturer hold value longer and can easily be sold if your student decides to take a different elective in the future.