Week 8 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 10/21/2019
Happy Monday! We've got a busy couple of weeks ahead of us as we prepare for the end of the 1st quarter--I'm not sure how we got here so quickly! Please be sure to read all of the updates!
1. Epic Build: The Epic Build is TOMORROW! We look forward to seeing you here! Our classroom will be open to visit 9:40-10:00. We will be keeping the rest of our daily schedule the same, so we will be learning right up until it is our turn to present. Because we will be sharing computers with Kindergarten we will NOT be able to present any earlier than 9:40. See you tomorrow!
2. Fire Safety: We had a great presentation today from a firefighter who taught us all about fire safety! Each student has the opportunity to earn a Fire Safety Cube if they do the following things: tell you what they learned today, send me a picture of them testing your smoke detectors at home (text or email is fine), and create and bring in an escape plan for your house. The escape plan should include ways to get out of each room of your house and a meeting place outside. There is a letter in your child's red folder explaining all of that. Let me know if you have any questions!
3. Pumpkin Day: Don't forget that Pumpkin Day is coming up next week on 10/31! If you haven't already gotten a miniature pumpkin for your child, please make sure you do so before next Thursday. Thanks!!
4. Pictures for Writing Folders: Last week I sent an email (sent on Thursday 10/17) asking that all students bring in 5-8 pictures of their family or trips you've taken. We will be decorating our writing folders with them and the pictures will be very helpful for brainstorming ideas for writing throughout the year. Please send in pictures by this Thursday 10/24!
5. Conferences: Parent Teacher Conferences begin today! Here is the link in case you need to double check your time. I look forward to meeting with you! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0a4aa9ab28a7f85-parentteacher3
Have a great week!
Week 7 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 10/15/2019
Happy Tuesday! I hope everyone enjoyed the beautiful holiday weekend! Here are the updates for the week:
1. Illness: There are a lot of kids out sick today! Please remind your kiddos to keep their fingers out of their mouths and noses and to make sure they are washing their hands thoroughly. This will help us manage the spread of germs as much as possible. Also, if your child is sick with a fever, please remember that they must be fever-free with no medication for 24 hours before returning to school.
2. Epic Build: Our first Epic Build is next week! Please see the attached flyer for more info: Epic Build Invitation
3. Pumpkin Day: We will be doing a whole day of pumpkin investigations on Thursday 10/31. Please send in a miniature pumpkin on either Wednesday 10/30 or Thursday for your child to use. Thanks! Please let me know if you have any questions!
- Reading: We are continuing our unit on building good reading habits. Soon we'll start learning about decoding words.
- Writing: We are writing pattern books! Each book follows its own pattern. This week we will explore some new patterns in our writing.
- Math: We will be finishing up our unit on repeating and growing patterns and have a test on Thursday.
- Content: We are starting our 2nd PBL project of the year with our unit on voting. We will learn all about why we vote and then participate in a grade-wide voting day!
Have a wonderful week!
Week 6 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 9/30/2019
Happy Monday! I hope you had a nice weekend. We're gearing up for another busy week in 1st grade! Here are the updates for the week:
1. Parent Teacher Conferences: Please use the following Sign Up Genius Link to sign up for a fall conference. I look forward to meeting with everyone! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0a4aa9ab28a7f85-parentteacher3
2. Fall Party: Our Fall party will be held on Thursday, Oct. 31st 1:30-2:15. This is NOT a Halloween party, so please no costumes! However, it is Crazy Hair day so feel free to send your child in with wild hair!
3. In order to plan for the party, I need to share your email address with our wonderful room moms. If you DO NOT want your email address to be shared, please send me a quick email by Wednesday, Oct. 2. Thank you!
- Reading: We will be jumping into our first Reading Workshop unit this week and working on building good reading habits.
- Writing: We will be learning how to write a complete sentence with a capital letter and correct punctuation.
- Math: We will be learning all about geometric repeating and growing patterns.
- Science: We are continuing our unit on scientific investigation with apples.
That's all for this week! Hope it's a great one!
Week 5 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 9/23/2019
Happy First Day of Fall! I'm hoping we start getting some fall weather soon! Here are the updates for the week:
1. Home Links: Beginning today, you will find a Home Link every Monday in your child's red folder. It reinforces the skills we are learning in our Social Emotion Learning lessons. This week's lesson is about listening. Our listening rules are:
- Eyes watching
- Ears listening
- Voice Quiet
- Body Still
Please read the Home Link with your child each week and have him/her complete the activity on the bottom. Home Links will be due each Friday.
2. Bring your Parent to PE Week: This week you are welcome to join our class for PE. We have PE on Tuesday and Thursday at 12:30. I hope to see you there!
3. House Meeting: We have a House Meeting on Thursday morning. Please have your child wear his/her house colors on Thursday!
- Reading: We will be doing read alouds about apples this week and then practice building our independent reading stamina.
- Writing: We will wrap up our unit on handwriting this week.
- Math: We are continuing to build our number sense by skip counting forward and backward by 1s, and skip counting forward by 2s, 5s, and 10s. PLEASE HAVE YOUR CHILD PRACTICE THESE SKILLS AT HOME!
- Science: We are learning all about apples and the life cycle of an apple tree this week.
5. Upcoming absence: I will be out of the classroom (but still in the building) next Monday for a grade-level planning day.
I hope everyone has a fantastic week!
Week 4 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 9/16/2019
Happy Monday! We're off to a good start on another week! Here are the updates for the week.
1. Wednesday 9/18: On Wednesday, I will be in the building, but out of the classroom. The students will have a sub while I pull each student to complete some beginning of the year testing.
2. Wear Gold: On Friday 9/20, we will wear gold to show our support for childhood cancer.
- Reading: We are developing our independent reading skills this week.
- Writing: We are continuing to practice our letter formation and handwriting.
- Math: We will be learning about number lines and even/odd numbers. Please have your child practice counting forward and backward within 100 at home.
- Content: Today is Constitution Day. We will be learning about the Constitution and other American symbols this week.
- Coding: We are starting our Epic Build project this week!
Have a great week!
Week 3 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 9/9/2019
Happy Monday! I hope everyone enjoyed the beautiful weather this weekend! We're off to the races on our first full week of school! Here are the updates for the week:
1. Sub Days: I always try my best to miss as little school as possible, however, sometimes there are unavoidable times when I have to be out. Just as a heads up, I will have a sub during part or all of the next 3 days. I will be at a 1/2 day training in the morning tomorrow, a 2 hour meeting on Wednesday, and a full day training on Thursday. Please rest assured that I have planned meaningful and educational lessons for your children on the days that I am out. When possible, I will try to alert you when I'm going to be out of the building. I know your children will be in good hands!
2. Summer Shirt Spirit Day: Tomorrow is a spirit day! Please have your child wear a summertime shirt.
- Reading: We are reading all about behavior this week and learning how to take responsibility for our actions.
- Writing: We are continuing to practice our handwriting.
- Math: We will be working on developing our number sense by working with number lines and even and odd numbers.
- Content: We will be creating posters to teach the kindergartners about school behavior expectations.
Have a marvelous week!
Week 2 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 9/3/2019
Happy Tuesday! I hope everyone had an enjoyable long weekend! We jumped right back into action today and have a busy week ahead. Here are the updates for the week:
1. Picture Day: Picture Day is this Thursday! Please be sure to have your child at school on time since our pictures happen early. If you are planning to purchase pictures, please return the order form (that came home in Friday Folders) to school in your child's red folder.
2. Friday Folders: Please remember to empty your child's Friday Folder each week and return it to school on Monday (or Tuesday if it's a short week).
- Reading: We will be doing a unit on good citizenship using read alouds and a variety of comprehension activities.
- Writing: Students will practice their handwriting with capitals and lowercase letters.
- Math: We are learning about graphing and understanding data.
- Social Studies: We are learning how to be good citizens at school, at home, and in our communities.
That's all for this week. As always, please don't hesitate to reach out if you have questions or concerns!
Week 1 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 8/26/2019
Happy Monday! We've had a great couple of days in class getting to know each other and learning the routines of our classroom! I hope your children have enjoyed it as much as I have. I just have a couple of quick updates to share for the upcoming week:
1. Water Bottles: Please remember to send your child to school with a plastic, reusable water bottle with a straw top. This cuts down on the number of trips out of the classroom to the water fountain and allows us to spend more time focused on instruction.
2. Sight Words: If your child can read AND spell all of the first quarter sight words that I sent home last week, please let me know and I'd be happy to send home the next set of words. Please be sure they can accurately spell all of the words before requesting the next list.
3. House Colors: We will have our house sorting assembly and first house meeting on Thursday! If you are new to Round Hill, your child will be sorted into a house on Thursday. If not, your child will still be in the same house as last year. Please have your child wear house colors on Thursday.
4. No School: There will be no school on Friday, August 30th or Monday, September 2nd for the Labor Day weekend.
Let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Have a great week!
Week 36 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 5/28/2019
I hope everyone had an enjoyable and relaxing long weekend! It's so hard to believe there are only 2 weeks of school left! I'm getting very sad thinking about your kiddos leaving me to go to second grade--but they're ready. They've grown so much this year! We have a busy couple of weeks ahead of us. Here is what's coming up:
1. Library books: All library books must be either returned or paid for this week. If you're not sure whether you have overdue books, please reach out to Mrs. Wieman in the library.
2. Pajama Day: We will have Pajama Day on Thursday, May 30th. Instead of house shirts, students can wear PJs that day.
3. House Day: On Monday, June 3rd, we will have our first House Day! Students should wear their house colors that day. They will spend all day doing different activities with their houses. It should be an awesome day!
4. Field Day: Field Day is Tuesday, June 4th. Please make sure students are wearing sunscreen BEFORE they come to school that day. They should wear shorts, t-shirts, and sneakers to be able to fully participate in all the games. Also, please pack their lunch that day as we will be eating in our classroom. Let me know if you have any questions!
5. Class Party: Our End of the Year Party will be held Thursday, June 6th 1:30-2:15. Feel free to join us!
6. Curriculum: Somewhere in the midst of all that, we will try to do a little learning! We will be doing a 2-week author study on Mo Willems in reading and writing. We will wrap up our unit on measurement in math and then work on some double digit addition problems. In science we will be working on forces & motion and the 3 states of matter. We will finish our unit on maps this week and then learn some facts about Virginia.
Have a great week!
Week 35 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 5/20/2019
Down to the last three weeks--so much to do and so little time! Here's what's new for this week:
1. End of the Year Party: Our amazing Room Mom, Mrs. Schuman, has asked for everyone to donate $5 for our End of the Year Party on Thursday, June 6th. If you send it in with your child, I'll make sure it gets to her. Thanks!
2. Field Day Link: If you are available to help out at Field Day, here's the link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0c48aba72baafb6-round
- Reading: We are starting our final reading unit of the year, focusing on characters and character traits.
- Writing: We will be doing a writing unit in conjunction with an author study on Mo Willems, who writes the Gerald & Piggie and Pigeon books.
- Math: We will finish our unit on measurement by studying weight and volume.
- Content: We are learning about reading maps and Virginia symbols.
- Phonics: The test on our phonics words will be on Friday 5/24. I sent home the list last week. I've attached it here if have misplaced your copy: Week 14 Sight Words
Have a great week!