- Round Hill Elementary School
- Weekly Blog
Week 24 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 2/24/2020
Happy Monday! I hope you're enjoying this short bout of warmer weather and that your kids have had the opportunity to get outside to play! We were definitely excited to have outdoor recess today. Here are the updates for the week:
1. Phonics/SEL: There is no SEL homework (but feel free to send back last week's if you haven't already--I'm missing several). New phonics words are coming home today and will be tested on Friday 2/28.
- Reading: working on our fluency and expression while reading aloud as we continue to study nonfiction
- Writing: continuing to write nonfiction "teaching" books
- Math: learning about addition and subtraction fact families
- Content: contributions of famous Virginians Maggie Walker and Arthur Ashe
That's it for this week! Hope it's a great one!
Week 23 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 2/18/2020
Happy Tuesday! I hope you all enjoyed your long weekend! Here are the updates for the week:
1. Famous Americans: Your child's assignment for Famous Americans came home last week. There will be more info coming about the event as the date approaches, but hopefully you have begun the process of helping your child learn some facts about their person. They are so excited for this project! Please let me know what questions you have!
2. Dentist Visit: We will be having a dentist visit this week to teach us all about oral hygiene! Our visit will be on Thursday morning.
3. Phonics/SEL Homework: New phonics words and SEL homework came home today. The phonics test will still be on Friday, even though it was a short week.
- Reading: strategies for reading nonfiction books about the world around us
- Writing: writing our own nonfiction book about a topic on which we are experts
- Math: finishing up our subtraction unit and starting to learn about fact families
- Content: Presidents' Day, specifically George Washington and Abraham Lincoln
Have a marvelous week!
Week 22 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 2/10/2020
Happy Monday! We're looking at another rainy week of indoor recess. I'll be just as excited as the kids for our next sunny day when we can go outside! We have an exciting week ahead!
1. SEL/Phonics Homework: New phonics words AND SEL homework are coming home in red folders today. Please be sure to practice the phonics words and return the SEL homework to school by Friday 2/14.
2. 100th Day: Wednesday is the 100th Day of School! We will be doing all kinds of fun activities with the number 100!
3. Valentine's Day: Please remember that we will NOT have a Valentine's Day party but we WILL exchange paper Valentines on Friday afternoon. Students are not allowed to exchange food, so please stick to paper Valentines with a pencil or sticker (if you'd like to do a little something extra). The class list came home last week and is attached to last week's email.
4. Famous Americans Assignment: Your child's assignment for the Famous Americans Expo will be coming home one day this week, hopefully on Thursday. Please keep an eye on the red folder for more info.
- Reading--strategies for comprehending nonfiction
- Writing--Valentine's read alouds with an accompanying writing activity
- Math--subtraction strategies
- Content--Virginia long ago, with a focus on Powhatan, Pocahontas, and Christopher Newport
Have a wonderful week!
Week 21 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 2/3/2020
Happy Monday parents! I hope everyone has a chance to enjoy this beautiful weather before all the rain we're supposed to get this week. Here are the updates for the week:
1. Illness: We have had A LOT of sick kiddos over the past couple of weeks. Please keep your child at home until they are fever-free for 24 hours WITHOUT medication to minimize the spread of germs. Also, please reinforce good hand washing habits and keeping fingers out of noses and mouths. Thanks for your help with this!
2. Famous Americans: We are getting ready to begin our big Famous Americans project. Please see the paper in your child's red folder for more information. I need the list of your child's top 4 choices back by Friday, Feb. 7th!
3. Valentine's Day: We do NOT have a Valentine's Day party in 1st grade, but we will exchange paper valentines. Please do not send in any food with the valentines. There is a class list in your child's red folder today.
If your child is absent today, I will attach the two mentioned papers to the email I send out. I will also attach this week's phonics words. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Have a good week!
Week 20 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 1/27/2020
Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a nice weekend! Here are a few updates for the week:
1. Report Cards: Report Cards will be available to view on ParentVue this afternoon. Please take the time to read them to find out about your child's progress in 1st grade. Let me know if there is anything you'd like to discuss in person.
2. Phonics Words/SEL: Our phonics list is 10 new sight words this week. The test on Friday will be a traditional spelling test with all 10 words. Please remember to practice at home this week! There is no SEL Homework.
3. Epic Build: Please come visit our zoo tomorrow morning 9:55-10:25! We can't wait to show you what we've been working on!
4. House Day: House Day will be this Thursday 1/30. Please make sure your child is wearing their house color that day. Also, bagged lunches will be available for purchase from the cafeteria, but we will be eating in our classroom. It may be easier for students to have a lunch from home that day. The choices for the bagged lunch are chicken sandwich, bagel, or sunbutter and jelly.
- Reading: We are beginning a new unit on nonfiction to learn about the world around us.
- Writing: Continuing to reinforce good handwriting
- Math: Finishing up our addition unit with a test on Wednesday
- Social Studies: Martin Luther King Jr.
Have a fantastic week!
Week 18 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 1/13/2020
Happy Monday! It's the last week of 2nd quarter--I can't believe the year is halfway over already! It sure has flown by. I'm looking forward to having a full week with your kiddos to get our routines reestablished and get working! Here's what's coming up this week:
1. Phonics/SEL Homework: There will be no SEL homework for the next couple of weeks. I will let you know when the next one is coming home. New phonics words are coming home today. Please be sure to practice these words at home this week!
2. 1/20 & 1/21: There is no school for students on Monday 1/20 for Martin Luther King Jr. Day or Tuesday 1/21 for a teacher work day.
- Reading--building independent reading stamina and practicing decoding strategies
- Writing--finishing our New Year's Resolutions
- Math--strategies for addition, including drawing a picture and using a number line
- Science--proper hand washing and visiting the dentist
Have a wonderful week!
Week 17 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 1/6/2020
Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a wonderful winter break! I enjoyed time with friends and family and feel refreshed and ready to take on the rest of the year! Here are a few updates for the week:
1. Phonics/SEL Homework: New phonics words and SEL homework are coming home today. Please remember to be working on both of these at home this week.
2. Illness: Cold/flu season is in full swing! Please keep your child at home if they are unwell to limit the spread of germs. Students must be fever-free WITHOUT medication for 24 hours before returning to school. Also, please continue to practice proper hand washing and hygiene at home to help everyone in our classroom stay as healthy as possible this winter. Thanks!
3. Winter testing: This month we will be doing all of our mid-year assessments in reading, writing, and math. I will be reporting on as much of the testing as I have completed in this quarter's report card, available 1/24 (it may not be every assessment). Please let me know what questions you have or if you'd like to meet to discuss your child's progress thus far.
- Reading: comprehension strategies such as problem/solution and retelling using read alouds about snowmen.
- Writing: writing our New Year's Resolutions
- Math: addition strategies (counting on and drawing a picture)
- Science: germs and hand washing
Have a wonderful week!
Week 16 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 12/17/2019
Happy Tuesday! I hope everyone enjoyed their extra long weekends--I know your kiddos sure did! Here are the updates for the rest of the week:
1. Phonics/SEL: There will be no new phonics words or SEL homework this week.
2. Winter Party: Our Winter Party will be held on Thursday 12/19 1:30-2:15. All are welcome to attend!
3. Curriculum: We will continue to do reading, writing, math, phonics, coding, and science each day, but this week we will be doing fun holiday-themed activities across subject areas. Also, our fractions and animals tests will both be given tomorrow.
I hope that everyone has a restful and relaxing holiday break filled with family, friends, and good cheer! I look forward to seeing everyone in 2020!
Week 15 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 12/9/2019
Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a nice weekend. I have just a few updates for this week:
1. Phonics Words/SEL Homework: New phonics words and SEL homework are coming home in red folders today. Please take some time to work on both of these things with your kiddos this week!
2. Recess: Unless it is raining or below 32 degrees, we WILL be outside for recess each day. Our first recess is at 9:15am. Please keep in mind that it has not reached the high temperature at that point in the day. Students need to have warm coats, gloves, and hats for recess each day.
- Reading-continuing our unit on decoding strategies
- Writing-studying a mentor text and trying out some new tricks, such as ellipses and bold words
- Math-continuing to identify and show fractions with parts of a whole
- Science-animal research to learn about our chosen animal for our next Epic Build
Have a great week!
Week 14 UpdatePosted by Emily Nelson on 12/2/2019
Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I certainly enjoyed spending time with friends and family and eating lots of good food! It's hard to believe that the holiday season is already upon us. I can see how excited your kiddos are for this busy time of year. We have 3 more weeks of hard work ahead of us and will be doing our best to stay focused on academic growth all the way until break. Here are your updates for this week:
1. Phonics Words and SEL Homework: There is a new SEL homework sheet in your child's red folder today as well as new phonics words. This is our first week of words focusing on the silent E. In school, the students are learning that the E makes the other vowel (in this case an A) say it's name. Please help your child practice reading and spelling these words this week in preparation for their test on Friday 12/6.
- Reading: continuing to grow our toolkit of decoding strategies
- Writing: zooming in on small moments and making our characters come alive with actions and dialogue
- Math: fractions (wholes, halves, and fourths)
- Science: animal needs and movement
That's all for this week--if something else comes up, I'll send another email. Make it a great week!
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017