Virtual Loudoun offers online courses through LCPS VISION using content that is aligned to the Standards of Learning to offer new educational opportunities to students. These courses present educational material and credit courses at the high school level to students using online resources. LCPS also uses other online vendors to offer courses to students. Virtual Loudoun courses are full-year courses offered in a condensed term. Students should expect, on average, to dedicate 140 hours to complete a 1 credit course within the term period.
When to Consider an Online Course:Enrollment in online courses should be considered in the following situations:
Student Enrollment per School?
- Student has a scheduling conflict to participation in special programs (i.e. MTC or AOS)
- Student is in need of an early release for special program participation outside of LCPS
- Student has special circumstance in which a modified school day is needed and will take online course(s).
- Student’s transferring from a 4x4 or alternate schedule in need of credits
- Special circumstance that is approved by the local school principal and the Virtual Loudoun Supervisor.
- Student wishes to take an 8th credit in the school year.
NO STUDENT MAY TAKE MORE THAN 6 VIRTUAL COURSES IN THEIR HIGH SCHOOL CAREER. NO STUDENT MAY TAKE MORE THAN 8 HIGH SCHOOL CREDITS PER ACADEMIC YEAR.For more information about Virtual Loudoun please visit their website.
- Each high school will be provided 100 slots (50 for Fall and 50 for Spring) in which they may recommend students to take online courses.
- Once your school has hit its enrollment maximum, slots will be determined based on funding available and the slots remaining from other schools.
- Students are permitted to take one course per academic school year for acceleration (an “8th” credit ONLY)
- SUMMER TERM: Students enrolling for acceleration purposes are permitted to earn a total of two (2) high school credits via Virtual Loudoun summer program in their middle and high school years.