Horizon Elementary School Counseling Vision
The Horizon School counseling program envisions a culturally responsive, inclusive, and student-centered environment where staff, parents, students, and community members work together. The school-counseling program provides a comprehensive and developmentally appropriate support to ensure the success of all students in becoming life-long learners and responsible, productive citizens.
Horizon Elementary School Counseling Department Mission
The Horizon Elementary School Counseling Department provides a comprehensive, inclusive and culturally responsive program to empower academic excellence, promote career development, and address the personal and social needs of all students.
In collaboration with educators, parents or guardians, and the community, the school counselors facilitate a safe, courteous, caring, and cooperative learning environment that embraces the unique talents and contributions each of our students bring to the learning experience. We strive to empower students to become independent critical thinkers, problem solvers, and productive citizens through a multi-tiered system of support and services.
We believe that:
- School Counselors advocate for all students and their families.
- All students have the right to have their individual learning needs met.
- All students can be productive community members.
- All students have the right to preventative, developmentally appropriate lessons aligned with ASCA Mindsets and Behaviors and VA Standards for School Counseling Programs.
- School counselors abide by ASCA’s School Counseling Ethics
- School Counselors collaborate with teachers, administrators, families and communities to meet the needs of all students and build a positive school environment
- School counselors use data to design, implement, assess and continuously improve the comprehensive school-counseling program.
- All students have the right to be served by the school counseling program and state licensed school counselors.
- School Counselors empower all students by teaching skills necessary for success.