WELCOME TO SEAC!
Special Education Advisory Committee
The Loudoun County Public Schools Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) works with the School Board, Administrators, Parents and Teachers who are responsible for students receiving special education services. SEAC advises the School Board on unmet needs of special education students and examines issues of relevance to the special education community.
What are the functions of SEAC?
- Advise LCPS of the needs in the education of students with disabilities
- Participate in the development of priorities and strategies for meeting the identified needs of students with disabilities.
- Submit periodic reports and recommendations to the superintendent for communication to the School Board.
- Assist LCPS in interpreting plans to the community for meeting the special needs of students with disabilities for educational services.
- Review the policies and procedures for the provision of special education and related services prior to submission to the School Board and the Virginia Department of Education.
- Participate in the review of LCPS’s annual plan.
SEAC 2020/2021 Meeting Dates:
September 9, 2020: Presentation - Inclusive Practices for Distance Learning, 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. Presenter: Karen Berlin, MEd, TTAC Region 4 Coordinator
October 7, 2020: Presentation - Supporting Special Education Students During COVID-19, 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. Presenter: Henry “Hank” Millward, Director, VDOE Office of Specialized Education Facilities and Family Engagement
November 4, 2020: Presentation - Trauma and COVID-19, 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. Presenter: Dr. Kelly Henderson, Executive Director, Formed Families Forward
December 2, 2020: Presentation – Transition Services for Developing Workplace and Independent Living Skills, 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. Presenter: TBD
January 6, 2021: Presentation – School Anxiety, 6:00 to 7:00 p.m., Presenter: Dr. Jonathan Dalton, Director, The Center for Anxiety and Behavioral Change
February 3, 2021: Presentation – Hidden Disabilities and Executive Functioning, 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. Presenter: TBD
March 3, 2021: Presentation – Transition Planning for College Bound Students, 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. Presenter: Hannah Serota, CEO, M.Ed., CEP, Creative College Connections
April 7, 2021: Presentation: Twice Exceptional Students, 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. Presenter: TBD
May 5, 2021: SEAC Business Meeting, 6:00 – 7:15 p.m.
May 19, 2021: Annual Excellence in Special Education Awards Ceremony, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
SEAC webpage CLICK HERE for updated meeting information.