Technological Systems is an 8th Grade year-long course designed to introduce students to the foundational concepts of technology and engineering.
Description: Technology Education is an elective course which is taken for the entire year. It is a comprehensive class using a multimedia and modular technology education approach. Students will experiment, design, invent, create, build, test and analyze while exploring 14 different technology areas. This course helps students understand how knowledge, tools and resources work in technological systems and benefit society. By simulating systems and assessing their impacts and influences on people, students gain insight into how to approach the problems and opportunities of the technological world.
Class Assignments: 30%
Tests and Quizzes: 20%
Link to Gradebook and Assignments:
$15 Lab Fee (Waiver Available)
USB Drive (Recommended)
Rules and Expectations:
1) Remain seated and quiet during instruction. Raise your hand to ask questions or make comments.
2) Keep your hands to yourself at all times and avoid "horseplay."
3) Show respect for your classmates and teachers.
Technological Systems - Virginia Course Competencies:
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Personal Qualities and People Skills
- Demonstrate positive work ethic.
- Demonstrate integrity.
- Demonstrate teamwork skills.
- Demonstrate self-representation skills.
- Demonstrate diversity awareness.
- Demonstrate conflict-resolution skills.
- Demonstrate creativity and resourcefulness.
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Professional Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrate effective speaking and listening skills.
- Demonstrate effective reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrate healthy behaviors and safety skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of workplace organizations, systems, and climates.
- Demonstrate lifelong-learning skills.
- Demonstrate job-acquisition and advancement skills.
- Demonstrate time-, task-, and resource-management skills.
- Demonstrate job-specific mathematics skills.
- Demonstrate customer-service skills.
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Technology Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies common to a specific occupation.
- Demonstrate information technology skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of Internet use and security issues.
- Demonstrate telecommunications skills.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Technological Systems
- Explain technology.
- Analyze the core concepts of technology.
- Explain the influences of technology on history.
- Use tools, materials, and equipment safely.
- Maintain a design portfolio.
- Explain the potential technological impacts of products and systems.
- Distinguish the characteristics/properties of materials and families of materials.
- Solve technological problem(s).
- Demonstrate the process for changing inputs to outputs in any system (universal systems model).
- Analyze technological systems of a specific invention or innovation, using the systems model.
- Design a model of a product or process, using computer-aided design systems.
- Apply computers and educational media to solve problems.
- Identify the core concepts of engineering.
Designing Technological Systems (6 weeks must choose 1 task, 9 weeks must choose 2 tasks, 12 weeks must choose 3 tasks; 18 weeks must choose 5 tasks)
- Design an information or communication system to solve a problem.
- Design a manufacturing system to solve a problem.
- Design a construction system to solve a problem.
- Design a transportation system to solve a problem.
- Design an energy and power system to solve a problem.
- Design an agricultural and related biotechnologies system to solve a problem.
- Design a medical technology system to solve a problem.
Evaluating Technological Systems
- Analyze the cause of a failure or a problem in a technological system.
- Assess the impact of technological systems on individuals, resources, society, and the environment.
- Research careers related to technological systems.