Step 1: Define Task & Choose Topic
Students define their research task and identify the kinds of information they will need to complete the task. Why am I researching? What kinds of information do I need to reach my research goal?
Define the task
Student Worksheets:Instructional Materials:PDF: KWHALQ ChartVideo: Powtoon - Define TaskVideo: Outline
- what is my teacher asking me to do? What is my final project supposed to be? Ideas
- what do I need to do to show understanding?
Choosing your topic
Student Worksheets:Instructional Materials:PPT: Narrowing your topic IVideo: Narrowing your TopicVideo: So What’s the ProblemInfographic: Narrowing your Topic II
- State your topic as a question
- Is your topic too narrow? Is it too broad?
- What do you already know about your topic?
- What else do you need to know about your topic?
- Where is the best place to look to find information about your topic?