Senior Checklist: Applying to Colleges
- Identify the colleges you want to apply to and create a list of important deadlines and criteria for the applications. Make sure you are applying for the Fall 2023 school year.
- Complete the Student and Parent Profile Sheets* and turn them in or email them to your counselor.
- If you need a recommendation for the application, ask for it personally and give your recommender your profile sheets. The recommendation letter should be sent electronically to your school counselor.
- Complete a separate Transcript Release/Request Form.
for every school to which you are applying. The form is a fillable document that you complete online, save as a pdf and email to Mrs. Tafe at least 10 business days in advance of the application deadline.
- Order your transcript electronically on Parchment. How to ORDER your Transcript on Parchment*.
Sign Up for REMIND! This allows School Counseling to contact you quickly with an announcement or question about your applications.
Class of 2023 text @sbhs2023 to 703-722-8068
- Research colleges on Naviance Student: http://cmsweb1.lcps.org/domain/4623
- Visit your top college choices and ask for further information about the application process.
- When colleges of interest come to SBHS, come and meet their representative in person. This is usually the person who will be reading your application! Sign up with your Naviance Student account by logging in to LCPS GO.
- Take your time writing your college essays and short answer questions. Submit them to a teacher or another strong writer who knows you well before attaching them to your application.
- Parents can fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) beginning October 1, 2023. ACT and SAT scores are not sent through Stone Bridge, they must be requested through ACT.org or CollegeBoard.org.
Senior Checklist - End of School Year Tasks
- Graduation Survey in Student Naviance - Post-High School plans are important to close out your senior year. Outcome results from schools where you applied are important DATA for underclass students when applying to schools.
- Order FINAL TRANSCRIPT on PARCHMENT (Hold for Grades).
- Dual Enrollment students - VERIFY FINAL grades have been POSTED on NVCC transcript *, then order FINAL NVCC transcript to send to your attending school (this is in addition to ordering your SBHS FINAL Transcript).
- ISR students - VERIFY FINAL grades have been POSTED on GMU transcript*, then order FINAL transcript to send to your attending school.
- How to Order a Transcript from George Mason University.
- How to Order a Transcript from James Madison University.
* There is a fee when you order a NVCC or GMU transcript. NVCC and GMU document ordering sites does not give you the option to select "Hold For Grades". If you do not verify final grades were on your transcript, you may be ordering a transcript without grades.