Devices other than smartphones that are Internet ready are allowed. Parents who are looking to purchase a device may want to consider laptops, tablets, or notebooks. LCPS and Sycolin Creek Elementary can not recommend specific makes and models of devices, but we can recommend the features that are most useful.
- WiFi capable, without data fees or limitations.
- A basic model of most devices will suffice.
- High-end devices are neither needed nor recommended.
- A physical keyboard is preferred and highly recommended.
- A touch screen is OK, but is certainly not needed.
- An approximately 11-inch screen or larger is acceptable for most students. Bigger screens dramatically increase weight.
- A lightweight device. Some are under three pounds, which is ideal.
- A USB port is useful though not required
- Headphones or earbuds.
- Protective case, cover, or bag.
- Anti-virus and anti-malware software.