Greetings and welcome to the 2020-2021 Harmony Band Program!This page is for information regarding instruments for use in band class. All students will need an instrument for use in class and for home practice. Please make sure to check out instrument information below the rental information.To rent a school instrument for the 2020-21 school year (bassoon, tuba, baritone, french horn; others only after contacting Mr. Fairchild):
For students that play Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Alto Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone, and Percussion -
- Make payment of $100 via the online payment system: Band Instrumental Rental Payment
- Complete this google form rental agreement: Instrument Rental Agreement
- Pick up your school instrument at Harmony Middle School on August 28 or September 1. Alternatives will be made available if you cannot come in either date.
For students that play Bassoon, French Horn, Baritone, and Tuba -
- Students will need to rent or purchase an instrument for their own use.
- Local music stores have great rent-to-own programs! There are several stores in the Purcellville, Leesburg, and Winchester areas!
- Purchasing a used instrument can be a great way to get a quality instrument. Sometimes they will need some work to be playable.
- Avoid cheap new instruments from non-music retailers. They are usually not well made and will break easily, and are usually not repairable.
- Please get instruments in traditional colors for that instrument. Green saxophones, blue trumpets, etc. are generally of extremely low quality and will not perform well.
- There are a very limited number of school flutes, clarinets, and trumpets available to rent. Contact Mr. Fairchild for details.
- See the attachment to this page for specific information for each instrument (cleaning supplies, reeds, sticks/mallets, etc.)
Here is a link to the 2020-21 Sixth Grade Band Information (this will also be sent via email). This includes instrument specific information on the third and fourth pages:Please feel free to contact Mr. Fairchild at any time if you have questions about instruments! I am happy to look at links or pictures of instruments you are considering purchasing or renting, meeting with you virtually to take a look at an instrument you have already acquired or have access to, etc.
- Students should rent an instrument from the Harmony Band program.
- $100 fee for the school year, which includes any basic maintenance needed for the instrument
- Repairs due to misuse or neglect will be at the cost of the family.
- Instruments can be picked up at Harmony Middle School on August 28 or September 1 in the morning.
- See the attachment to this page for specific information for each instrument (cleaning supplies, mouthpieces, etc.)