Math Department Grading and Retake Plan
The math department grading policy is that summative assignments, such as unit tests, count for 90% of the grade, and formative assignments, such as homework, quizzes, and checkpoints, count for 10% of the grade.
Summative tests may be eligible for retakes based on the following requirements. Formative grades are final.
Math Retake Requirements
Each test will contain multiple sections. Each of those sections is attached to a specific math standard and will be assessed on its own.
70% or above = NO RETAKES
69% or below = students are given the option to meet the following conditions to be eligible to retake the section.
Conditions for retake:
- All homework, study guides, and other assignments fully completed by teacher assigned due date
- Test signed by parent (if requested by the teacher)
- Test corrections / re-teaching must be completed and mistakes will be analyzed according to teacher direction
- Any other requirements from the teacher
o May be required to attend a revisit session if directed by the teacher
- The teacher and student may make a plan for revisiting which could include: during class, sessions before school, after school, during resource, or with a math teacher.
The retake will be given by the date of the next summative, as designated by the teacher or no retake will be given.
- Teachers reserve the right to refuse the retake option – some reasons may include:
-students trying to raise grade due to careless errors made rather than conceptual issues
- Students who are eligible for a retake and DO NOT follow the steps above by the deadline will not be allowed to complete the retake.
Algebra 1 Retake Policy
· In addition to the criteria listed above, Algebra 1 students may be eligible for a maximum of two section retakes during the first semester. Students are eligible for one retake during the second semester.
Geometry Retake PolicyIn addition to the criteria listed above, Geometry students may be eligible for a maximum of one section retake during the first semester. Students may be eligible for a maximum of one section retake during second semester.