CLASSROOM POLICIES AND EXPECTATIONSMr. Fenner, Business Education - Riverside High School
I am very excited to be teaching business education at Riverside. The following policies and expectations apply to all of my business classes. After reading this sheet, complete the attachment as your first assignment. I am looking forward to a great year. Go Rams!
- It is expected that students will abide by all policies of Loudoun County Public Schools and Riverside High School. These policies will be enforced in business classes.
- Cell phones and iPods are NOT permitted to be used in class, and should be safely and securely stored out of sight or in the student’s locker.
- The computer is used extensively in business courses; inappropriate use of the computers or Internet will not be tolerated. Students who cannot conduct themselves appropriately will lose computer privileges and be given alternate assignments.
- Limited snacks and drinks are allowed in the business classroom, at the discretion of the teacher. Drinks are NEVER allowed at the computers.
- Follow directions the first time given.
- Bring all materials to class every day.
- Be in your assigned seat and ready to work when the bell rings.
- Code of Ethics and Honor Code are in effect at all times.
- The teacher, not the bell, dismisses class.
- 1” 3-Ring Binder
- Index/Tab Dividers (5)
- Notebook Paper
- Pen or Pencil
- A flash drive is strongly recommended but not required
ABSENCES AND MAKE-UP WORK
Students with an excused absence will be allowed the same number of days to make up work as the number of days excused. Students who have an excused absence on the due date of an assignment are expected to turn in the assignment upon return to class.
- Assignments missed due to long term illnesses and absences will be coordinated between the teacher and the student.
- It is the responsibility of the student to arrange for all make-up work. Missed quizzes or tests must be made up within one week; students may utilize the testing center during their study hall to make up quizzes or tests.
- Professionalism is paramount in the business program. Students are expected to present themselves professionally at all times. Profanity is not tolerated. Disparaging remarks towards other students will not be tolerated.
- Respectful attitudes are required. This means respectfulness towards the teacher, towards other students, and towards all guests and substitute teachers.
GRADING AND LATE WORK
- A variety of assessments will be used to determine grades. Grades will be based upon a combination of :
Any project or class assignment that is not completed and submitted by the due date will result in a loss of points for that assignment. All late work will receive a 10% reduction PER BLOCK DAY LATE with a possible maximum score of 60% after 5 blocks have passed.
If a student misses class work or assignments due to an excused absence, an extension of time-based upon the number of days absent from class- will be granted for students to make-up the assignment. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the teacher to arrange for make-up work.
TESTING AND RETAKES
Students will be allowed ONE retake of a quiz or test. Once the student has retaken the quiz/test, the new score will be used as the overall score - assuming it is higher - and students may score up to a maxmium of 84%. The retake must be completed within 2 class periods of students completing test remediation, and this must be completed within two class periods of the students receiving their graded tests back.
Students will be given every opportunity to succeed. However, disruptive or disrespectful behavior will be handled as follows:
o 1st offense – Verbal reminder of expectation
o 2nd offense – Phone call home to discuss issue with parent or guardian
o 3rd offense – Referral to administration and phone call home
I will be posting assignments and other information on my school website. To access the class website, please go to LoudounVision.net and search "Fenner Personal Finance". Also, my contact information will be on the school website. To access it, visit www.loudoun.k12.va.us/Riverside, click on “Staff”, and select “Fenner, Gregory”. The class website will be updated weekly.
Students that are experiencing any difficulties in class are strongly encouraged to meet with me. I am always available to discuss assignments, grades, or general concerns. If you communicate with me and work with me, we can find a solution to any problem!
Parents are also welcome to contact me at any time. I can be reached by emailing Gregory.Fenner@lcps.org or by calling the school at (703) 554-8900. I will make every effort possible to answer emails within 24 hours.
I have read the classroom policies and expectations. I understand the class policies and procedures as well as the instructor’s expectations of the students. I understand that I will need to earn my grade and to be accountable for my work and my behavior.
Student Signature: __________________________________ Date: ___________
PARENTS & GUARDIANS – Please mark the appropriate selections below:
My student has access to Microsoft Office at home.
My student has Internet access at home.
My student and I have reviewed the classroom policies and expectations. We understand the class policies, procedures, and expectations as they are described.
Parent / Guardian Name (print): ______________________________________
Parent / Guardian Signature: _________________________ Date: __________
PARENTS & GUARDIANS
In the event that I need to contact you regarding grades, praises, or discipline concerns specific to your student, please provide an email address and phone number below where I may reach you. Also, please let me know if you prefer to be contacted by email or phone.
Parent / Guardian Email: ____________________________________________
Parent / Guardian Phone: ___________________________________________
Please select your preference: ð Contact by Phone or ð Contact by Email
Thank you and I am looking forward to a wonderful year with your students!