Welcome to the Spartan Writing Center!
During the 2021-22 year, we will be offering in-person and asynchronous options.
Click here to schedule a synchronous session; these will take place in room 202 during third block on A days.
Asynchronous sessions will also be available by completing this form. Please note that because the center is only open on A days, asynchronous feedback may take up to FOUR school days to be emailed back to you.
We will also accept walk-in appointments; however, availability is limited and priority will be given to scheduled appointments. Walk-in appointments are only available on A days in room 202 during third block.
The Spartan Writing Center is a welcoming and empowering resource devoted to fostering student growth and improving the quality of all kinds of writing. Writing Center tutors are ready to edit, revise, and build confidence in each writer’s unique piece and individual voice.
Whether this is your first visit or you have been in the Writing Center many times before, we have put together the following lists so you know what to expect during your visit.
The Writing Center will:
- Be a helpful, welcoming, passionate community for writers of all abilities to receive feedback on their writing- whether that be through a video call or emailed responses
- Provide non-judgmental assistance during any phase of the writing process.
- Focus on bigger issues, such as structure, organization, and content before smaller issues, such as grammar and syntax—unless students or teachers request specific help.
- Ask you to read your writing aloud.
The Writing Center will not:
- Complete your paper for you.
- Allow you to bypass the work of editing, revising, and drafting that will make your piece of writing great.
Please remember that each student will get what he or she puts into the Writing Center tutoring session. If students ask questions and are engaged in the process, the tutor will have much more to work with. If you are mentally absent from your conference (or at least an idea of what you need assistance with if done asynchronously), you will likely come away with minimal writing help.
This year, the Writing Center will be doing tutoring synchronously (in a Google Meet on Mondays and during 3rd and 7th blocks) and asynchronously (emailed feedback/ comments). Please do not try to leave a class to come to the Writing Center unless you have study hall or the teacher who assigned you to come to the Writing Center.
We look forward to working with you! If you have questions or comments, please contact Rita Nordenman.