EMES Backpack Buddies
The 2017-2018 Backpack Buddies Program at Evergreen Mill Elementary
- What is Backpack Buddies?
- For the sixth year running, Evergreen Mill Elementary is proud to sponsor the Backpack Buddies (BPB) program. This program supports students who face food insecurity by providing family-style meals that are sent home weekly in the students’ backpacks. For the 2017-2018 school year, we are averaging about 94 bags a week.
- How can a student receive a bag?
- BPB applications are sent home the first week of school, but EMES families can apply at any time during the school year. Applications can obtained from the teacher, in the front office, or downloaded below. All information is kept confidential.
- Where do the bags come from?
- Our BPB program is supported by the LEF/LCPS Backpack Coalition, a part of the Loudoun County Public Schools’ Office of Outreach. The Coalition collects food donations and purchases food from the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank. The Coalition is also supported by Loudoun Hunger Relief, the Backpack Buddies Foundation of Loudoun County, and other local entities. Bags are packed each Monday evening at a local warehouse. On Tuesday, volunteers pick up the bags and distribute them at their school. The Coalition provides over 1000 bags for schools throughout Loudoun County.
- What type of food is in the weekly bag?
- The Coalition follows a 4-week rotating menu intended to cover weekend meals for a family of 4-6 people. Over the course of a month, families will receive rice, beans, pasta and sauce, macaroni & cheese, peanut butter and jelly, tuna, soup, canned fruit and vegetables, oatmeal, and baking mix.
- What can I do to help the BPB program?
- There are many ways to help:
- Volunteer to pack at the Backpack Coalition on a Monday night.
- Volunteer to help distribute bags at EMES on Tuesday afternoons.
- Keep your eye out for food drives being held at EMES in the fall and spring.
- Check the “Backpack Buddies EMES” Facebook page for volunteer opportunities and BPB events.
- Contact Jennifer Ashford at shiloh9 [at] mac [.] com or 703-919-7267 with any questions.