7th grade Strings/Orchestra
(Please refer to the Orchestra Google Classroom as well)
- Be Kind & Respectful
- Arrive On-Time (Come into the classroom, unpack, be seated & ready to tune)
- Follow Instructions
- Be prepared for class with instrument, shoulder rest, music, & pencil (assignments, practicing, etc. are ready to go before class begins).
- Show Respect for teacher, classmates, & all equipment.
- Will play only when instructed to do so.
- Understand that if he/she cannot play due to illness, injury, etc.…the director requires a note from the doctor, parent, or guardian.
- Understands that gum, food, drink, or candy are not permitted in any area of the music department
- Know that concerts & after school rehearsals are not an option they are required & graded
- Record your practice times for the week. They will be handed in each Monday morning
- Concerts & After school rehearsals are a required grade (Please Mark Your Calendars)
- Everyday try to do your best!
Required Material: A purchased or rented instrument, instrument supplies (Tuner, Strings, Shoulder Rest, Rosin, Cleaning Clothe, Music Stand For Home, nametags for cases)-Find a more detailed list on my web page.
Books: 7th-I Can Read Music by: Joanne Martin & Essential Elements Book 1 Reviewo by
Michael Allen, Robert Gillespie, Pamela Hayes (From Last Year) & Essential Elements Book 2 (New This Year)
Summative Assessments: Technique, Playing, & Written Tests, Performances & rehearsals,
Formatives: Class participation, class preparedness, Practice Tests and Assessments, & Practicing at home
**Practice is very important at home from the Support of our Parents & Guardians.
For Students: “ You only need to practice on the days you eat.”~ Unknown
Best Practice Recipe:
Warm-up 3-5 min, Scales 3-5 min, Listening 3-5 min, Music/Goals to practice 5-10 min, Fun Music to end the practice session.
Rental Procedures: Please do not purchase an instrument online. Depending on the make, they are not usually good quality and fall apart easily.
Overview of Class:
- The Day Violin Shop (good quality for the price), Music Arts, The Music Loft, Fox’s Music, Brobst Music in Alexandria, Potters Violin Shop
- Please check my website for more ideas and information on the rental process & places.
· Review 6th grade technique, notes, rhythms, and pieces played by memory
· Review in I Can Read Music book & Essential Elements Book 1
· Start in Book 2 Essential Elements
· Work on more difficult Orchestral Arrangements for Concerts
· Work on Playing by yourself & In groups
· Working on Memorization with new pieces
· Strengthening Reading Skills & Listening Skills
· Strengthening Work Ethic
· Learning More Scales
· Auditioning for Seats for the Concerts
Please fill out the Link below for Syllabus Signature: