21st Century Literature
Blocks 1 and 3, Room L505
Students enrolled in 21st Century Literature will learn content aligned with the Virginia SOL, specifically focusing on improving reading skills through current, high-interest texts. They will receive specialized instruction to meet their reading needs using program outlined through Loudoun County Public Schools. Students will:
- Orally and silently read and analyze a variety of fiction and non-fiction texts.
- Identify in reading and apply in writing specific aspects of the written word (e.g. main idea, supporting details, plot, etc.)
- Engage in discussion with peers in the classroom regarding topics addressed in class.
- Increase their vocabulary, word-recognition, and oral pronunciation.
- Participate in focused attention to reading skills like comprehension, fluency, and word study
Google Classroom Codes: Block 1: 48yqcz Block 3: bfpfvl
Grading procedures: Grades will be on a point system
Students will be graded on their progress through reading fluency programs, vocabulary and word work, as well as comprehension assessments on the text being covered.
Materials for Class
Students must have required materials by the beginning of the second week of class.
- One folder with loose leaf paper
- Composition Notebook
- Writing Utensils
- 1 pack of post-its or index cards
- A box of tissues for the classroom if possible