COLLEGE APPLICATION PROCESS FOR JCHS
- Step #1A – Submit to your counselor your "Know Thy Knight" Self-Assessment form No later than September 26
- Step #1B – Submit to your counselor your "Know Thy Knight" Parent Assessment” form No later than September 26
- Step #2A – Are you applying with the Common Application? If so please watch the video on how to sync your common application with Naviance.
- Step #2B – If you are not using the Common Application, go into Naviance and add “Colleges I’m Applying to”
- Step #2C - COALITION APP ONLY
- If you are using the Coalition App:
- The Coalition application provides flexibility for the student. Because JCHS sends documents via Naviance eDocs, the student must check a box that indicates that they understand that it is their responsibility to get the documents to the institution. (see graphic below)
- The Coalition application works a little bit differently. Since we are a Naviance eDocs school, student using the Coalition Application will fill out the application online, then they will check the box to indicate that they’ll be sending their transcript separately (not via coalition). When you get to the locker portion of your Coalition Application, do not choose anyone in "Official Documents and Recommendations". Instead, request the teacher letter of recommendations be sent online through Naviance just like other colleges in general. However, if you are asking for a recommendation from someone outside of JCHS, then you should list that person in the recommendations section so they will be able to submit via Coalition.
- If you are using the Coalition App:
- Step #3 – Bring the "Transcript Release Form" to the Office of School Counseling $3/transcript, allow for 10 business days (see posted deadlines below)
- Step #4 - Send official copy of standardized test scores AP, SAT, SAT Subject, ACT scores
- Step #5A – Does the university require a teacher letter of recommendation? If yes, follow steps below; if No, nothing is required
- Have a discussion with the teachers you would like to write a letter for you. Once you have spoken to them and they have agreed to write a letter, proceed with the following:
- Log-in to Naviance and request teacher letter of recommendations electronically.
- In the notes box include the following: 1) Deadline to upload the letter, 2) Which college you need the letter for (or do you need it for all?), 3) Do you need the "Common App Teacher Evaluation Form" completed in addition to the letter?
- Other information you may want to provide for the teacher:
- I asked you to write this letter because __________________. I feel you could accurately portray my strengths (academic achievement, commitment to your class, participation, growth potential, etc.) in the classroom. I enjoyed __________________about your class. I found __________________ difficult but overcame it by __________________. Lastly, I would like to add __________________. Thank you again for your support.
- Teachers will fill out and submit an electronic letter of recommendation that will be sent with your transcript, school profile, secondary school report and counselor recommendation letter.
- Remember, only include if the university asks for one. Do not think that adding something extra will help, what it shows the university instead is that you are not capable of following directions.
- Watch the video linked to the right for additional help with the teacher letter of recommendation process. At the 10 second mark, please choose which video you would like to watch for help.
- Step #5B - Other Recommenders - if you are having someone outside of JCHS write a letter for you, please follow this process.
- Sign in to your Common Application account
- Click on My Colleges
- On the left hand side go to Recommendations & FERPA
- Scroll down to Other Recommender
- Click Add another and input the name, title and email address
- An email will be sent from Common Application to your recommender with a link to submit their letter and evaluation.
- Step #6 - Optional - Activities List/Resume Created in Naviance
- Step #7 - Adhere to all deadlines
- Still have questions? Check out our College Applications Q&A Section
College Application Questions and Answers
College Application Worksheet
How to Request a Letter of Recommendation in Naviance
How to Sync Your Common App with Naviance
Know Thy Knight Parent Assessment
Know Thy Knight Self Assessment
Send ACT Scores
Send College Board Scores
Transcript Release Form