Tuscarora High School Representative: to be announced
The purposes of the committee are as follows:
- Advise the local school system of the needs in the education of children with disabilities.
- Assist the local school system in the development of long-range plans which will provide needed services for children with disabilities.
- Submit periodic reports and recommendations regarding the education of children with disabilities to the local school board.
- Review annually the school system’s updated special education plan and application for federal funding.
SEAC has focused on Research-Based Initiatives and Instructional Offerings for Students with Special Needs; Staff Development Opportunities for All Staff; Reading Approaches and Alternatives for Students with Special Needs. The SEAC continues to focus on the education for students who are Gifted and Talented as well as Special Education and on the impact of the No Child Left Behind regulations on providing services to students with disabilities.
SEAC helps you understand how to work with the school division and how special education can meet the needs of your child. SEAC monthly meetings include presentations about special education topics for parents and educators. By attending meetings, you:
- Receive information to assist you to become an educational partner in your student’s educational process;
- Can network with other parents of students with disabilities and educational professionals to gain information and support; and
- Offer input to help inform the policy and program decisions in the continuous improvement of exceptional education services in Loudoun County.
Who serves on the SEAC, and may I join?
The position is a voluntary, two-year term, and the SEAC is limited to 21 members. The majority of the committee is comprised of parents of students with disabilities and of community members. Membership must also include one teacher. SEAC also encourages students with disabilities to join. Membership inquiries may be directed to the SEAC Vice Chair of Membership.
The SEAC usually meets the first Wednesday of the month during the school year from 7:00-9:00 p.m. at the
LCPS Administration Building (Ashburn, VA). Check the meetings and presentation schedule Coming Soon.
If due to a disability, you need assistance or an interpreter, call 571-252-1011 at least 5 business days before the event.