2020 Virginia Summer Residential Governor’s Schools
Are you currently a high school sophomore or junior? If so, you should consider applying to the 2020 Virginia Summer Residential Governor’s Schools.
The Virginia Summer Residential Governor’s Schools are approximately four weeks long and are held each summer on various college and university campuses throughout Virginia. The Governor’s Schools offer students a unique opportunity to work and study not only with other students with similar talents and interests but also with mentors, professors, scientists, and other professionals in their field of interest.
The following Summer Residential Governor’s Schools will be offered in 2020:
· Agriculture (held at Virginia Tech)
· Humanities (held at Radford University)
· Math, Science, and Technology (held at Lynchburg College)
· Visual and Performing Arts (held at Radford University)
And Mentorships in:
· Marine Science (held at Christopher Newport University)
· Medicine and Health Sciences (held at VCU)
· Engineering (held at Christopher Newport University)
LCPS students must apply through their home high schools. Students may apply to only one Governor’s School. School divisions select the students they nominate for the state level application process.
In addition, LCPS students applying for the Visual and Performing Arts Governor’s School must attend a local preliminary audition for selection to attend the state level audition. The preliminary audition is Monday, November 4, 2019, at Stone Bridge High School, 43100 Hay Road, Ashburn, VA 20147. Auditions are by appointment.
If you wish to apply, application instructions will be posted soon.
The Virginia Summer Residential Governor’s School website should updated on or before October 4, 2019. Please do not begin the application process until the 2020 applications appear on the website. Click here to visit the website (not updated for 2020 yet).
Visual and Performing Arts Applicants:
· The deadline to register for the Preliminary Audition is October 18, 2019. Please click here to complete the Registration Form.
· Audition Requirements are found here:
o Music (Instrumental and Vocal)
· Please read them carefully as you prepare for your audition. Here are some Audition Tips.
Information sessions will be offered at Tuscarora High School on October 9, 2019 during all four lunch periods, in the Career Center.
An evening information session for parents and students will be held on Tuesday, October 1, 2019, from 7:00 pm until 8:00 pm, in the Auditorium at Stone Bridge High School, 43100 Hay Road, Ashburn, VA 20148. Doors will open at 6:30 pm. This session is identical to the high school information sessions.
The information session will include:
· General overview of Academic and Visual/Performing Arts Summer Residential Governor’s Schools
· Application procedure
· Nomination process
· Auditions for Visual and Performing Arts students (local and state)
· Deadlines and other important dates
The information session will not include:
· Detailed information on each Governor’s School including curriculum/faculty
· Information on World Language Academies (Students apply for the World Language Academies through their high school World Languages department. Please see the department chair for more information.)Click Here for Parent Information.Applications are due to Mr. Barr by December 6, 2019. You must submit hard copies in person; electronic copies cannot be accepted. You will notice that Governor’s School requests two teacher recommendations. They are also due to Mr. Barr by December 6, 2019. Please give your teacher a minimum of two weeks’ notice when requesting any letter of recommendation.For additional information please visit the LCPS Gifted and Talented webpage by clicking here.