A goal of 100 volunteer service hours is highly encouraged over the course of your JCHS career.
Volunteer service is something you do good for an individual/group, an entity, or an organization without expecting anything in return. If you have earned and officially logged a minimum of 100 service hours, you will be recognized at graduation with a service cord to wear with pride!
Juniors and Seniors can also earn a Civics Seal on their diploma through completion of 50 hours of community service and other academic requirements. Click here for more information about the Civics Seal.
Please note the following information below:
- You must officially log your hours using the Knights Give Back Form during the eligibility period for each school year between July 1 – June 30. *The deadline for Seniors to submit hours for the current school year is May 1st.
- Hours will be randomly verified with the organization and all self-reported hours will be validated by a JCHS faculty member. Any false reporting will automatically disqualify a student from participating in the program.
- You must use your LCPS email address when completing the Knights Give Back Form. An email confirmation will be sent to your LCPS email account after you have submitted your hours.
What activities count for volunteer service?
Below are some examples of volunteer service activities:
- Key Club Community Volunteering (Hospitals, Libraries, Senior Citizen Homes, etc.)
- Food Drive Volunteer School Wide Service Projects
- Non-fundraising Volunteer Service Interact Club
- Team Service Projects Religious Affiliation Service (Church)
- Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts Non-Graded, Optional Performances for Band, Chorus or Orchestra
- Athletic Team Managers (no more than 15 hrs.) Highway Clean-up Projects
- World Language Honor Societies Soup Kitchens
- Running for a Cause (Stone Ridge 5k, etc.) National Honor Society
Volunteer Service FAQs:
1. How many hours do I need to qualify to earn a service cord at graduation?
A minimum of 100 service hours is highly encouraged over the course of your JCHS career. Submitting 25 hours annually is recommended.
2. How do I officially log my hours?
You should log your volunteer activity information and hours by completing the Knights Give Back Form. Hours may be submitted as many times as needed. We encourage you to submit your hours frequently and on a quarterly basis!
3. Is there a deadline to enter my service hours?
Yes! The eligibility period to enter volunteer time for each school year is July 1 – June 30. *The deadline for Seniors to submit service hours is May 1st.
4. How do I check how many volunteer hours I have?
You will receive an email confirmation sent to your LCPS email address after submitting your hours using the online form. We encourage you to keep track of how many hours you have submitted. To confirm how many cumulative hours you have logged, please contact Ms. Rizzoni in the Counseling Office. *Please note – the total number of volunteer hours submitted are updated on a quarterly basis.
5. I’m a JCHS team manager, How many hours can I submit for my volunteer service time?
A maximum of 15 hours per school year may be submitted for team manager hours.
6. Where can I find volunteer opportunities?
You may find current volunteer opportunities listed below on this Knights Give Back web page. Additionally, the Loudoun County Website is a great resource to find volunteer opportunities within the community.
7. Does my activity count towards volunteer service hours?
You may ask your Counselor to verify if the activity counts towards volunteer service.
You will receive an email confirmation sent to your LCPS email address after submitting your hours using the online form. We encourage you to keep track of how many hours you have submitted. To confirm how many cumulative hours you have logged, please contact Ms. Rizzoni in the Counseling Office.
*Please note – the total number of volunteer hours submitted are updated on a quarterly basis.