• Our History
    Douglass School has had an interesting and varied history. The land was purchased by the "School League" (a group of African American parents) for $4,000 and was deeded to the School Board. In 1941, ground was broken for the construction of Douglass High School. On completion, the doors of the first Secondary School for African American children in the history of Loudoun County were opened.
    The original building consisted of four rooms. Since that time there have been two additions. In 1950, a science laboratory, home economics suite, and five classrooms were added. In 1960, a gymnasium, shop, cafeteria, and several classrooms were built.
    Please read the report written by LCPS student Shaheer Alam detailing the history of Douglass.

     Mr. George Liverpool  1941 - 1948
     Mr. Ulysses Oliver  1949 - 1951
    Mr. Stephen Sydnor  1952 - 1963
      Mr. James Woodson  1964 - 1968
     Mr. James McBride  1968 - 1969
     Mr. Weldon Reeves  1971 - 1975
     Mr. Frederick Hutchison  1976 - 1977
    Mr. Joel Galperin  1977 - 1978
     Mr. Wayne Griffith  1978 - 1979
     Mr. Terrence Hill  1979 - 1985
     Mrs. Laurraine Landolt  1985 - 2000
     Dr. John Robinson  2000 - 2016
      Mrs. Marianne Turner  2016 - 2019
    Mrs. Stacie Mininberg 2019 - 


    The building has provided service to many different populations since 1968: 
    Timeline School Name History
    1941-1968  Douglass High School
    Served all African American Students as a high school
    1968-1969 The Broad Run Annex
    It was a school for 8th & 9th graders who would be attending Broad Run for the 69/70 school year.
    1969-1971 The School Board Annex
    Used as administrative offices.
    1971-1976 Leesburg Middle School
    It was a school for 6th & 7th graders from Leesburg, Middleburg, and Lucketts.
    1976 Douglass Community School
    After the middle school students moved on, it became a school with multiple programs: an alternative high school, a special education center, and the Douglass Community Center.
    1991 Douglass School
    Housed at Douglass during this time were Douglass Alternative School with middle and high school programs, ESL, Early Childhood Special Education, Substance Abuse Education, Insight, and the Douglass Community Center.
    1993 Douglass School
    The STEP classes joined the above programs.
    1994 Douglass School
    Head Start classes joined the above programs.
    1996 Douglass School
    Head Start classes are relocated.
    2000 Douglass School
    The Middle School Transitions Program and the GED Program were added.
    2001 Douglass School
    The ESL, STEP, and Early Childhood Special Education classes are relocated and Douglass becomes the center for Secondary Alternative Programs for LCPS.
    2004-2014 Douglass School
    The Saving 9 program is added to support 9th grade students in jeopardy of failing and potentially becoming drop outs.
    2016 Douglass School Second Chance program is added to support students who have struggles with regular high school programs.