Virtual First Day
Important Start of School Information
Loudoun County Public Schools is working to reduce the amount of paper forms generated and sent home for signature. To that end, a number of enhancements have been made to ParentVUE to facilitate opt-in, opt-out acknowledgements and the ability to update important information.
Parents can log into ParentVUE to acknowledge documents and update information electronically. This method will be used to reduce the number of papers sent home on the first day of school.
If you do not have a ParentVUE account, you should contact the school of your youngest child to request an Activation Letter.
Beginning Monday, August 13th, parents can update the following information in ParentVue. Please note, the mobile app version of ParentVUE does not offer full capabilities, so you should use the website version, https://portal.lcps.org/. If you have questions concerning the use of ParentVue, please click here to view ParentVue Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
What forms should I acknowledge in ParentVUE?
Am I required to acknowledge the receipt of 2018-2019 Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook?
Acknowledgement of the 2018-19 Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook is required for every student.
Beginning Monday, August 13th, parents can electronically acknowledge the Students Rights and Responsibilities Handbook through ParentView. (To electronically acknowledge the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook, a pdf must be downloaded.) Please note, the mobile app version of ParentVUE does not offer full capabilities, so you should use the website version, https://portal.lcps.org/ .Click here to view ParentVue Quick Tips for Acknowledging the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook, en Español
- Acknowledgment of the Acceptable/Responsible Use Policy. LCPS has rewritten this for students in friendly terms that model appropriate uses. In using LCPS computer equipment and networks in schools for any purpose, all students need to act responsibly. Students must use appropriate language and behavior on computers and networks.
- Military Recruiting Opt Out. The Every Student Succeeds Act requires school districts to release student names, addresses and telephone numbers to military recruiters upon their request. The law requires the school district to notify students and parents of their right to opt out of having this information released.
Example of ParentVue Opt-out screen
- Photo Release Opt Out. Parents/guardians may elect to not have their child photographed or videotaped for use in media and may further request that no individual pictures be used in the school yearbook and that the child not be a part of classroom photographs.
What important information can I update electronically through ParentVue?
Beginning Monday, August 13th, parents can update the information in ParentVue. Please note, the mobile app version of ParentVUE does not offer full capabilities, so you should use the website version,http://portal.lcps.org/We encourage you to update this information in ParentVue:
- Student and Physician Information (please review and update)
- Emergency contacts (please review and update information if necessary)
- Health concerns/conditions (please review and update information if necessary)
- Opt-Out, Opt-In functions, and Military Connection Status
- Military Recruiting Opt Out. The Every Student Succeeds Act requires school districts to release student names, addresses and telephone numbers to military recruiters upon their request. The law requires school districts to notify student and parents of their right to opt out of having this information released.
- Photo Release Opt Out. Parents/guardians may elect to not have their child's photographed or videotaped for use in media and may further request that no individual pictures be used in the school yearbook and that the child not be a part of the classroom photographs.
- Weather Opt Out. LCPS utilizes the BlackboardConnect Phone Messaging System to personally communicate with parents about emergency situations, school events and important issues affecting your child. If you choose to opt-out of this system, you grant permission for your child to be removed from the "Weather-related" Closing and Delay messages ONLY and you understand you will still be entered into the system for emergency and outreach messages.
- Family Life Education Opt Out (for more information see Family Life Education)
- Release of student contact information to non-school officials Opt In. This is in response to a state law that allows the release of directory information to elected officials and other non-school entities who may use this information to distribute congratulatory letters .
- Military Connected Status. Identification of newly-enrolled uniformed services-connected students (Military Connection) is a new requirement based on legislation passed by the Virginia General Assembly in 2015 (HB 2373 and SB 1354). While the legislation requires data collection for only newly-enrolled students, the Department of Education is encouraging school districts to collect this data for all students. This data, which does not identify individual students, is reported annually to the state.
- Standard After School Dismissal Plan Complete this section only if your child's school requests it. Complete the Weekday Dismissal section if your child is dismissed the same way every day. Provide the Daycare Name if applicable.
What other optional forms are available?
Should I fill out the McKinney-Vento Form? (Housing Determination Form)
Loudoun County Public Schools uses the McKinney-Vento form to determine enrollment eligibility for families that do not have a current mortgage or active lease in their name.McKinney-Vento Application (Housing Determination Form)
Solicitud de McKinney-Vento (Formulario de Determinación de Situación de Vivienda)
Does my student qualify for free and reduced lunch?
Children from households that meet federal income guidelines are eligible for either free or reduced-price school meals. Reduced eligible children eat breakfast and/or lunch at no cost to the family. Families may complete an online application; click here for the link www.lcps.org.heartlandapps.com.
Please contact School Nutrition for information regarding menus, special diets, food allergies, meal applications, nutrition education, school garden resources, and more. You can visit us at www.lcpshealthycafe.org or follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @LCPSCafe.
Is student accident insurance available through LCPS?
Does LCPS offer personal property insurance for students' and employees' personal property brought to school?Loudoun County Public Schools' insurance does not provide coverage for students' and employees' personal property brought to school.Each year the LCPS Procurement/Risk Management Office receives claims where school students and employees have lost valuable personal property brought to school. Every type of personal property is subject to loss by accident, theft, or vandalism. Examples of personal property include: iPods, iPads, cell phones, smart phones, cameras, tablets, lap top computers, etc.
The Worth Avenue Group has been providing insurance programs to thousands of students and staff across the country since 1971. Their personal property insurance plans have been utilized by many colleges and universities and have been made available to public school students, faculty, and staff nationwide. Click here for information provided by Worth Avenue Group insurance English, en Enspañol.
What do parents need to know?
When does school start?
Which school bus is my child riding this year?
Can I prepay for my child's lunch?
My School Bucks allows parents to create a free account to make school lunch payments. It allows parents to check cafeteria balances and purchases and receive low-balance alerts.Parents also set up automatic payments, https://www.myschoolbucks.com/ver2/login/getmain?requestAction=home.
Can I pay for my student's fees online?
Payment options for activities may vary from school to school. Please check with your school to obtain information.You will need your student’s ID number and a major credit card to create an account. (There is a 4 percent transaction fee for using this service.)To pay fees, such as parking or athletic fees, online, please select your school from this site, https://osp.osmsinc.com/LoudounVA/.
If this is your first time using Online School Payments (OSP), please use the Student ID number/LCPS Employee PID/Retiree Account number in the Student ID field when creating your account. For Non-LCPS students, please use your 10-digit telephone number in the Student ID field.
Does the Loudoun County Public Schools system have drug and weapons policies?
Schools are responsible for maintaining an atmosphere conducive to learning and for protecting students from illegal and harmful influences. To view the LCPS Drug Policy click here (en Español). Please read the policy and discuss it with your child. If you have any questions, contact your school’s principal.Possession or use of a weapon, loaded or unloaded, operable or inoperable, by a student while under the control or supervision of school system personnel, at a school-sponsored activity, or on school property is prohibited. This policy is applicable to students at all grade levels. To view the LCPS Weapons Policy click here (en Español). Please read the policy and discuss it with your child. If you have any questions, contact your school’s principal.
Where can I find more information about supporting my student?The mission of Loudoun County Public Schools Parent Resource Services (PRS) is to promote a positive working relationship between families, educators, and the community by fostering an understanding of the building blocks that contribute to a successful educational outcome.The Parent Resource Center provides workshops for families and educators on a variety of topics to enhance student wellness and learning. They also connect families and educators to school personnel, web-based and community resources.
Does the Loudoun County Public Schools have a mobile app?
The LCPS App is available for a free download from both the Apple App Store and Google Play App store. To learn more, click https://www.lcps.org/app.