We invite you to explore Family Connection by Naviance, our website that allows students and families to investigate, research, track, and plan for the college admission process.
To begin using Family Connection, go to http://connection.naviance.com/pfhs and follow these steps:
· On the home page, enter the code that was printed on your personal access card (this will be provided to students by their counselors for Juniors and Seniors, and students will be registered by the guidance department in 9th and 10th grade in the computer labs in November) in the “New User” box and click “Register.”
· NOTE: When you log-in in the future, your user name is your e-mail address and your password is the one you established when registering. If you change your e-mail address at any point, remember to update it in Family Connection.
· The Welcome page will appear when your registration is accepted. Announcements and other important information are posted on the Welcome page. Check it often!
There are a few sections of the Potomac Falls High School Family Connection with which we urge you to become familiar: “About Me” and “About College”.
These are sections you might find useful:
My Profile – Includes basic biographical data and grade point averages.
My Resume - By completing this resume with information about your accomplishments and talents, you can help us get a better understanding of how to help you effectively describe yourself to colleges. It may also help match you with local and state scholarship opportunities.
My Colleges – As you find colleges that interest you, we recommend that you add them to your list of “Colleges That I’m Considering”. If one of your colleges of interest visits Potomac Falls High School, you will automatically receive an e-mail alerting you to the date and time of their visit. Also, as you apply to colleges, you will track the status of your application under “Colleges to which I’m Applying”.
My Journal – As you investigate colleges and start to develop or refine your college list, this is an excellent place to chronicle your thoughts and questions.
My Account – If you would like to change your password, you can do so here.
College Match - This tool will allow you to use historical gpa and test score information about students from PFHS and their college applications to match you with colleges that you may want to consider adding to your list. Please note that there are many factors which can affect admissions decisions and the results of this search do NOT guarantee in any way whether or not you will be accepted at a particular college. If a particular college never appears in the results, it may be because no one from PFHS has ever applied to this particular college.
College Compare – This tool allows you to compare average grade point averages and test scores for accepted students from PFHS at up to ten colleges. School averages are displayed in green when your number is higher and in red when your number is lower. The column labeled "Accept" shows the number of students accepted out of the number of students that applied.
Acceptance History – To see how many PFHS students have applied and enrolled at all colleges click here.
Visit Schedule – College admission representatives visit PFHS throughout the school year, especially in the fall, to meet directly with interested students. To see what colleges have scheduled visits to PFHS, click here. Students may click on “sign up” next to the college name to receive an email that reminds them of the upcoming visit.
Scholarship List – Click here for a complete listing of scholarships of which we receive notice. Many of these scholarships are from local, community, or state organizations.
Scholarship Match – Based on information in your profile, your resume, or your game plan, scholarships are matched with your qualifications. The more information you complete in Family Connection, the better the matches.
You may also want to explore the resources under “From Your School”:
We have also included links to additional websites that are important to Potomac Falls High School students.
· Open your internet browser and go to http://connection.naviance.com/pfhs
· On the home page, enter the code that was printed on your personal access card in the “New User” box and click “Register.”
· (NOTE: When you log-in in the future, your user name is your e-mail address and your password is the one you established when registering. If you change your e-mail address at any point, remember to update it in TCCi.)
· The “Welcome” page will appear when your registration is accepted.
TO COMPLETE A COLLEGE SEARCH:
· On the left side of the “Welcome” page is a list of functions that are available on TCCi. Click on “college search” under the “About College” section of the menu on the left-hand side.
· Select factors in any or all of the categories to help narrow down a list of colleges that match your interests. At the end of each page, you can either click “Show Matches” to generate a list OR click “Next” to continue to pick more factors.
· (NOTE: You will notice that the number of schools that matches your criteria constantly appears near the top of the page as you move through the selections.)
· If you end up with too many schools on your list and you need to narrow your list, simply select more factors. You should use the “Previous” button at the bottom of the page if you want to go back to earlier pages/factors. On the other hand, if you end up with too few schools, go back and deselect some of your factors. Again, use the “Previous” button.
· Once you have completed your search, click “Show Matches.”
· Scroll down toward the bottom of the new page. The list of schools that matches your criteria will appear.
· At this point, you will see three pull-down menus. You now have the option to select criteria to compare three different factors for each school on your list.
TO RESEARCH COLLEGES ON YOUR LIST:
· Simply click on a college name that appears on your generated list.
· A new window will open and you will connect to a general information page for that school within Naviance. From this window, you can also research additional information such as admission criteria, extracurricular activities, etc., by using the pull-down menu located to the right of the red “Application History” box.
· To return to your full list of schools and begin researching another school, simply close that window by clicking on the box in the upper left-hand corner.
· To research another school, repeat the above process.
· In order to save your list of colleges, you must manually save each one. To do this, click the “pick” link next to that school on your list of generated schools. That school will show up in the “Hand-Picked List.” Once you’ve selected all of the schools from your college search that you want to save, click the “Add to My Colleges” link directly under the box labeled “Hand-Picked List.”
· (NOTE: To view this list at a later date, click “My Colleges” on the “About Me” menu on the left-hand side.)
WHEN YOU HAVE FINISHED:
· Don’t forget to click “Sign Out” in the menu on the left-hand side of the screen.
THIS IS JUST AN INTRODUCTION TO SEVERAL OF THE USEFUL FEATURES OF NAVIANCE. WE HOPE THAT THEY HAVE BEEN HELPFUL. WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO TAKE A LOOK AT THE MENU AND EXPLORE ALL OF THE OTHER OPTIONS.