Welcome to Physical Education!
* 13th year teaching Health/P.E.
* Previously American Red Cross lifeguard and Water Safety Instructor.
* Teaches at Hillsboro, Mountain View and K. Culbert Elementary Schools
* Has 3 kids and 1 dog
* Enjoys biking, hiking, fishing, baseball, swimming... and running after my kids!
Regular physical activity is an essential component in your child’s well being. Regular physical activity has been shown to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, prevent bone loss, manage stress, improve self-esteem, increase muscular strength and endurance, provide an environment to build healthy peer relationships and even lead to higher academic achievement.
In P.E. students will participate in a variety of physical activities that promote the development of skilled movement and encourage the maintenance of physical fitness. Through various methods of instruction, P.E. students will become knowledgeable about lifelong health and wellness through proper nutrition and physical activity. Our goal is to prepare and encourage students to practice learned skills and concepts to be healthy and active for a lifetime. We strive to establish a positive, safe learning environment where students of all levels can be successful.
Some important P.E. notes: It is important that students wear proper clothing and footwear (running shoes) appropriate for exercise during PE class. In addition, students are encouraged to dress in layers and wear sunscreen for outdoor PE, especially as the weather changes. If a student needs to be excused from physical activity, please send a note. Any injury/illness that requires a student to miss 3 or more days of PE class requires a doctor’s note. Students attend Physical Education class 3 days per week but also engage in various exercise programs throughout the school week.
Want more info? Please check out the PE link on the Hillsboro web page and always feel free to come participate!
Our PE Program goals:
- Establish a positive, safe learning environment for all students.
Why be Physically Active?
Regular physical activity has been shown to:
- Reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Help in the maintainance of appropriate weight.
- Improve cholesterol levels in the blood.
- Prevent and manage high blood pressure.
- Prevent bone loss.
- Boost energy levels.
- Help manage stress.
- Release tension.
- Improve sleep.
- Improve self-image and self-esteem.
- Increase muscular strength and endurance.
- Provide an environment to build healthy peer relationships.
- info taken from the American Heart Association.