site stats
Select a School...
Select a School

Loudoun County

Public Schools

Department of Pupil Services - Special Permission Requests  PHONE: (571) 252-1021   FAX: (571) 252-1242
The request window will re-open for schools with sufficient capacity to Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) families April 1, 2016-August 15, 2016. The Online Application will open at 9:00 a.m.*  
YOU MUST HAVE YOUR STUDENT(S) REGISTERED WITH LCPS AND A VALID STUDENT ID NUMBER IN ORDER TO APPLY FOR SPECIAL PERMISSION! (Grade K students may not have a student ID, but should have registered at the school that serves their current attendance zone). 
See the chart below for different circumstances where special permission may be necessary:

Special Permission Reason


Time Frame to Apply

Employee Special Permission

Parent or guardian works at a Loudoun County Public school and would like to have their child attend their school.  The parent will provide transportation to and from school.  There must be sufficient capacity.

March 1-August 15 (Note, only parents who work at a school where they wish to bring their student(s) may apply starting March 1, otherwise, the parent should apply beginning April 1)

Special Permission

Parent or guardian would like their child to attend a school with available space outside of the school boundary which serves their current Loudoun residence. The parent will provide transportation to and from school. There must be sufficient capacity.

April 1-August 15

Family Relocation (Move-In)

Parent or guardian is currently residing in Loudoun County, but is building, buying, or will rent a home where the student will reside during the school year in Loudoun County, and would like their child to start at the school which serves their future residence.  There must be sufficient capacity in the requested grade for elementary-age students.

Year Round*

Family Relocation (Move-Out)

Parent or guardian moves out of the school zone (still within Loudoun County) where their student started the school year and would like their child to finish the school year at the same school.  The parent will provide transportation to and from that school.

ONLY during the current school year until June 1*

If your student is new to Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS), you must first register your student(s) at the school which serves your current LCPS attendance zone first before requesting special permission!  
A student ID number is required for all students grades 1-12.  
Grade K students may not have an ID, but should have a complete registration on file at the school which serves their current attendance zone:
 Middle Schools Open to Requests
Belmont Ridge Middle School
Blue Ridge Middle School
Farmwell Station Middle School
Harmony Middle School
Harper Park Middle School
J. L. Simpson Middle School
Seneca Ridge Middle School
Smart's Mill Middle School
Sterling Middle School 
Trailside Middle School*
High Schools Open to Requests 
Broad Run High School
Freedom High School
Heritage High School
John Champe High School*
Riverside High School
Rock Ridge High School*
Tuscarora High School
Woodgrove High School 
  The application closes August 15 by 11:00 p.m.
 Apply Online
Schools listed above with a (*) will have limited capacity for the 2016-17 school year, based on the most recent Capital Improvements Program, and require a PAPER APPLICATION. These schools will also have no or limited capacity for the 2017-2018 school year.  The application may be faxed or emailed (see directions on the application).
Parents should contact for more information and a paper application for schools with limited capacity or over-enrolled schools if your student is a rising senior (high schools only).  
Identifying and evaluating all other ramifications of changing schools by special permission is the responsibility of the parent or guardian prior to submitting a request.  Ramifications include, but are not limited to, changes in future-year capacity that precludes renewal of the request for special permission.  Please read through LCPS School Board Policy §8-20 below for more information.
**If you move during the 2016-2017 school year, and wish for your student(s) to remain at their current school; you must complete a Family Relocation Form for each student, and provide a Change of Address Form and Proof of Residency Document (Deed, Settlement Paper Work or Lease) to our office and to the school.  Click on the link which states "Family Relocation AFTER the Start of the School Year" on the left side for more information and forms! ** 
If your student is served through an Individualized Education Plan (IEP), please contact the Office of Special Education at (571) 252-1011 if you would like to discuss your student's placement at a school other than the one which serves your current residence.

On January 28, 2016, the Loudoun County School Board adopted revisions to Policy §8-20, School Assignment, which went into effect immediately, replacing previous versions of the policy. Final versions of this policy can be found on the School Board webpage, under "Students", §8-20 School Assignment:  
Last Modified on Wednesday at 9:01 AM

Get Connected To Loudoun County Public Schools

Click To OpenClick To Close